Event Review: MusicalCon 2023

MusicalCon returned to the ExCeL Centre, London for its second year on October 21st and 22nd. Following the success of the inaugural convention in 2022, MusicalCon was back, and bigger than before, and I was very excited to return for its second year!

MusicalCon is an annual musical theatre convention, which is the first of its kind in the United Kingdom. The two-day event brings together thousands of musical theatre fans, hundreds of artists, performers and industry experts, dozens of small theatre businesses, and the best shows of the musical theatre world, past, present, and future. With a range of features including showcases, panels, meet and greets, photo opportunities and competitions, MusicalCon places itself as the single biggest event for musical theatre fans in the country.

Image Credit: MusicalCon

This event was quite simply breath-taking. Following the success of last year, the event has expanded, taking up multiple halls in the ExCeL Centre from last year’s single hall, and the extra space did not go unnoticed! It allowed everything there to spread out a little more, with more space in and around TheatreLand, as well as having spaces more secluded for workshops and masterclasses. The space also makes the event a lot more accessible with more room for wheelchairs and mobility aids to get around, as well as providing quiet spaces for those who may need some time away.

The range of performers, talent and panels at the event made sure that there was something for everyone the entire time. With talent from across the country and world in one place, we were all spoilt for choice! There were also panels that would entertain everyone and ensure that everyone felt seen, with specific panels talking about the disabled, BAME & LGBTQ+ communities, with performers in each of these groups, which was lovely to see. Also, the large majority of main stage & panel events featured continuous British Sign Language interpretation, which is of vital importance.

‘Mother of Musicalcon’ Shanay Holmes. Image Credit: MusicalCon

Shanay Holmes returned as the main organiser of the event again this year. Having acquired the title of ‘Mother of MusicalCon’ during last year’s event, seeing her return again to organise another successful event was a joy to see. Joined by an small army of organisers, technical teams, volunteers, staff and celebrity ambassadors, including Layton Williams and Trevor Dion Nicholas, the teams yet again delivered a fun, emotional and deeply entertaining event, which seems to be growing all the time!

MusicalCon 2023 was a brilliantly organised event, which beautifully brought together the musical theatre fans of the nation for another weekend of fun, reminding us all of the place where we belong. As we begin another countdown of the 525,600 minutes until the next convention, it looks as though MusicalCon is here to stay, and I cannot wait for next year’s event!

Rating: ★★★★★

MusicalCon will return to the ExCeL Centre in London in 2024. For future updates about this event see @musicalconwestend on Instagram

Image Credit: MusicalCon

SUTCo Review: Shakespeare in the Park: As You Like It

This weekend saw the Sheffield University Theatre Company (SUTCo) take over Crookes Valley Park for a two-day production of Shakespeare’s As You Like It...