Album Review: CMAT- Crazymad For Me

The second album from rising Irish country sensation Ciara Mary-Alice Thomspon, Crazymad For Me, is just as accomplished and polished as her first record, If My Wife New I’d Be Dead. The album takes its name from a line in the Sheena Easton hit of 1981, Morning Train (Nine to Five), in which the protagonist is at home all day, awaiting the return of her lover who she is ‘Crazy mad for’. The 80s pop classic paints this relationship as romantic, yet modern perspectives would see this as quite a dull way to lead your life, sitting around waiting for a partner all day. This is a perfect representation of the themes of the album. Thompson shows how the passing of time can change our perspective on events in our lives which at the time we thought we’d never get over. It charts the process of coming to terms with a break up and how time can allow us to see things entirely differently. The record has an incredibly raw and personal feel to it, being told from the perspective of a future version of Thompson, looking back on formative relationships. 

The album begins in the same way as her first, with a nod to a US state. However, California has quite a different style to Nashville which came at the beginning of her first album. She has adapted her country style into a more powerful maximal pop style and the first track is a great introduction. This big, noisy feel continues into the second track, Phone me, which is a bleak and honest assessment of mistakes she has made in relationships. 

The third song sees a return of Thompson’s characteristic humour with a strange reference to Burnley Football Club’s manager Vincent Kompany. In it, she attempts to reconcile her younger self with her current self, seeing the two as quite different people. This song is the best representation on the album of CMAT’s brand: raw, honest, self-referential, and really funny, with the reference to Henry VIII’s first wife Catherine of Aragon who ‘don’t lose her head over nothing’ being a personal favourite. 

The record continues in a similarly raw way with ‘Such a Miranda’ in which CMAT deals with the impossible expectations men create for women and also reflects on her experiences as a young woman in a relationship with an older man. The song is slow and brooding, allowing the listener to reflect on their own experiences. It finishes with the haunting imagery of ‘I’m the Little Mermaid// You split my legs open’ with Thomspon recognising her innocence and the impact which these younger relationships had on her. This is a difficult topic that CMAT deals with beautifully. 

‘Rent’ follows similar themes with continuing delicacy, building up beautifully to its crescendo. The anthemic track is developed as a cathartic experience for both listener and artist, allowing Thompson to let out the anger that has developed in the process of revisiting these memories. The huge and powerful sound of the final minute feels like a turning point in the album, allowing Thompson to let out all of her pent-up emotions and move past blaming herself.

‘Where are your Kids Tonight’ was the lead single on the album and is the best song CMAT has released to date. It is a gorgeous and powerful track, with the combination of Thompson and John Grant seeming almost heaven-sent. Their vocals support each other beautifully and the haunting drum beat paired with such power feels almost Kate Bush-esque. It is a brilliant CMAT twist on the 80s anthemic pop sound. 

Thompson then returns to her typical country style with the trio of ‘Can’t make up my mind’, Whatever’s inconvenient and I… Hate Who I Am When I’m Horny. Her gorgeous vocals really shine through on the powerful ‘Torn Apart’ which brings home the process of moving on from past mistakes and marks the beginning of the end of the album and therefore the journey which it represents. 

‘Stay for something’ reflects on why on earth you stayed with someone you shouldn’t have, which I’m sure most people can relate to. Yet she acknowledges how, despite knowing they weren’t right for each other, she can’t bring herself to hate the person who hurt her. 

The final song ‘Have Fun!’ is a self-love pop tune, reminiscent of Self Esteem. The long and painful journey that this album charted is over and she can finally move on and enjoy herself. It’s a fun and flippant end to a painful process and a great way to finish the album.

This is an incredibly accomplished album from the self-proclaimed pop star. Despite no longer living in her grandparent’s basement, she has not let her newfound stardom take away from the intimate and personal feel of her music. CMAT has truly announced herself as a rising star and one to keep an eye on.

8.5/10

SUTCo reveals 2 original scripts in semester 1 programme

The Sheffield University Theatre Company (SUTCo) have revealed their semester 1 programme for the 2024/25 academic year. The group, which aim to put on...