A Haunting in Venice: “A perfect Halloween treat” – Review

Few film franchises have been improved by a third addition. Well, apart from The Prisoner of Azkaban perhaps (forever my favourite Harry Potter film). However, it seems that the third time’s a charm for director Kenneth Branagh’s new Agatha Christie adaptation, A Haunting in Venice.

A Haunting in Venice is part typical mystery film, part supernatural thriller. Set a few years after the end of the Second World War, our characters are pervaded by a sense of loss. Many of them are recovering from being in concentration camps or seeing action on the frontline. This is dealt with sensitively and explains why we meet most of these characters at a séance. Without divulging too much, the night takes a sinister turn when, in typical Christie style, a murder takes place. Poirot (Kenneth Branagh) finds himself endangered.

As with the rest of this Poirot series, A Haunting in Venice comprises a star-studded cast.

As with the rest of this Poirot series, A Haunting in Venice comprises a star-studded cast. Jamie Dornan and Jude Hill (both featured in Branagh’s highly acclaimed Belfast) are again cast as father and son here. They give stellar performances as a family with hidden secrets and largely unspoken tensions. Kenneth Branagh puts in another predictably good performance as the Belgian detective. In this film, Poirot is forced to question his own beliefs and fears for his own safety. This brings a depth to the character that we have not seen previously. My one minor critique would be his Belgian accent. Unfortunately, this hasn’t improved over the course of the series, and I did find this took me out of the plot one or two times at the beginning. However, this is a slight detraction from a very compelling film.

If the title or plot doesn’t seem familiar that’s because the film is a very loose reworking of Hallowe’en Party, one of Christie’s less popular Poirot installations. I read it several years ago, but I wouldn’t have recognised it had it not been for a very intense scene of apple-bobbing gone wrong (a surprisingly darkly funny moment in this adaptation). The trademark Christie cosiness is eradicated – instead, provincial 1960s England is transposed to a noir 1947 Venice. There is a much more stylised feel to this entry in the series, with beautiful cinematography of twisting canals and towering, somehow claustrophobic grand palazzos creating a sense of paranoia and entrapment.

It feels refreshing to see a Christie adaptation that explores emotion and grief in such a way whilst also being a fun, – and I mean this as a compliment – relatively light watch. This film’s strength lies in the reimagining of the original story. It surprises me even writing this (I’m an English student, a pedant when it comes to book adaptations) but this is what elevates A Haunting in Venice above Branagh’s other Christie films. This isn’t a story we’ve seen a thousand times. The audience are forced to see new twists, characters and, most daringly, different murders. A perfect Halloween treat (unless you’re a Christie purist), best accompanied with a pumpkin spice latte.

Verdict – 4/5

Murdle wins Book of the Year

Last night book-lovers across the UK watched this year’s edition of The British Book Awards unfold at Grosvenor House in London. These awards, which...

The flawed student loan system

The student loan system operates on assumptions, and what Student Finance labels you as can make or break your university experience. Students...

Exploring the far-flung paradise of Palawan, Philippines

As midnight approached on the 31st of December, I boarded my second flight heading to the Philippines. Swapping my scarf and mittens for sunglasses...

Book Review: SAS Rogue Heroes ~ Ben Macintyre

The Second World War was a tragedy that led to many of the things the modern world has today, including the United Nations and...

SUTCo Review: Shakespeare in the Park: As You Like It

This weekend saw the Sheffield University Theatre Company (SUTCo) take over Crookes Valley Park for a two-day production of Shakespeare’s As You Like It...

Why is everyone running half marathons all of a sudden?

You can run, but you can’t hide - half marathon fever is sweeping across our students like a newfound epidemic. Your friends are no...