Heathers Graduates: Why the Final Curtain is such an Important Moment

They may be done with acting evil, they will always be seventeen, and they have made it beautiful, but today marks a sad day for the students of Westerburg High. Today marks the final performances for the U.K. tour of Heathers, the cult-classic musical that has swept the nation. With the London cast graduating two months ago on September 3rd, the cast closing tonight are set to be the final students for the foreseeable future. But why is Heathers closing having such a profound effect on the musical theatre community, and how does the future look for this breakout sensation?

So where has this show come from? Heathers began life as a 1989 comedy film, starring Winona Ryder and Christian Slater. When it released, it earned $177,247 in its opening weekend, and $1.1 million over five weeks, which led to it being considered a flop, although it did receive the Independent Spirit Award for Best First Feature, and the Edgar Award for Best Motion Picture Screenplay. It has since developed a cult following, and is now regarded as one of the best coming-of-age films of all time, alongside The Breakfast Club and Stand By Me.

Heathers (1989). From left to right – Shannen Doherty as Heather Duke, Liane Falk as Heather McNamara, Kim Walker as Heather Chandler & Winona Ryder as Veronica Sawyer. Image Credit: AnOther Magazine

In 2010, director Andy Fickman adapted the story into a stage musical. It received a three-show concert presentation in New York, starring Jeremy Jordan as J.D. After playing for five months at New World Stages (Off-Broadway), it transferred to The Other Palace for its initial U.K. run, lasting seven weeks. It then transferred to the Theatre Royal Haymarket in the West End for another seven-week run. In April 2021, Heathers reopened at this venue, before finally returning to The Other Palace, running continuously until its closure on September 3rd. During this time, there were two U.K. tours (including the tour closing this evening), and the show also featured heavily in an episode of Riverdale.

It’s clear that Heathers has had an interesting and rich history, on stage and on both the big and small screens. Musicals and shows close all the time in theatre, why is this show any different? Why should Heathers be seen as any different to the hundreds of other shows that have come and gone over the years? But this show is something unique, and something very special, for several key reasons.

Original West End Heathers production. From left to right – Jodie Steele as Heather Chandler, Carrie Hope Fletcher as Veronica Sawyer, T’Shan Williams as Heather Duke & Sophie Isaacs as Heather McNamara. Image Credit: BBC

First of all, Heathers has been a key starting point for many West End names. A significant number of theatrical stars have seen themselves starting out in a production of Heathers, which for many had led to illustrious careers, including Carrie Hope Fletcher, Jamie Muscato, Jodie Steele, Sophie Isaacs, Erin Caldwell and Hannah Lowther. The show has featured many stars making their debut in professional theatre and may lead to similar careers for its recent casts as well. This has led to a significant outpouring of love from across the theatrical world, as many stars pay tribute to such an important show for them.

Heathers has also been praised for addressing a wide range of issues that modern teenagers face. The musical’s content warnings are one of the longer in the theatrical world, featuring warnings around lighting and sound, gunshots and language, as well as “mature themes including murder, suicide, sexual violence and references to eating disorders”. Whilst the plot of Heathers is a particularly extreme one, the themes covered in its storytelling open the door for important conversations surrounding mental health, sexuality, popularity, fitting in at school and bullying. It also references wider issues surrounding the education system and our community, including comments surrounding how society “churns out slaves and blanks” and how the system doesn’t always work to support creativity and individuality. Whilst the musical covers these issues in a way relevant to the wider story being told, it has been instrumental in helping its viewers to come to terms with these issues, and hopefully allow people to be more open about the issues raised.

2022-2023 West End Heathers Production. From left to right – Vivian Panka as Heather Duke, Maddison Firth as Heather Chandler & Jasmine Beel as Heather McNamara. Image Credit: Broadway World

Finally, Heathers has been instrumental in drawing a new generation of people to the theatre. As well as developing a cult-like following, the musical has become especially popular with younger people, teenagers and students, groups which are much less likely to go to the theatre than their elder counterparts. Alongside shows such as SIX and Hamilton, Heathers consistency sold out night after night, and was by far the most popular cosplay at the inaugural MusicalCon 2022. Many young people have found themselves engrossed by the exciting, fast-paced plot and catchy, singalong nature of the musical numbers, which has led to increasing numbers of young people being interested in theatre and returning for additional shows. And this in itself shows just how important Heathers has been in the past few years. With the current financial situation of the country and theatre becoming more expensive, many people are becoming unable to access theatre, so getting young people into seats and watching this talent has become more important than ever, and why events such as West End Live have become so much more popular (an event which Heathers regularly attended).

So what now? Where does Heathers go from here? Well, following its runs in London and touring the U.K., I wouldn’t be surprised if Heathers takes a few years away from the limelight. The musical has been going from strength to strength in recent years, particularly following the pandemic, and its closure may give the creatives, especially director Andy Fickman and producer Paul Taylor-Mills the chance to take a break and focus on other projects. Looking further ahead, I would be very shocked and saddened if this production never made a return to the stage. It’s a unique show and one that I think will always do well either in the West End, touring or in local productions. It’s not a particularly difficult production, in terms of plot, costumes, or technical aspects and would do well with a revival a little while after it has closed. We’ve currently had no indication given as to the future of Heathers, but I have a feeling that we haven’t seen the last of it yet.

Heathers U.K. Tour cast. Image Credit: Heathers

But one thing is a certainty; Heathers is drawing to the end of an incredible life it’s enjoyed in the past few years. And many people will be sad to see it close its curtains, given the extraordinary following it has enjoyed. So as Jenna Innes prepares to proclaim “September 1st, 1989. Dear Diary” for the final time, the many casts, creatives and fans of this smash hit musical can rest in the knowledge that, they have indeed, “made it beautiful”.

The Heathers U.K. tour closes tonight at the Theatre Royal, Windsor, following its closing in London on September 3rd. A recording of the show at The Other Palace in London is available on DVD

2023 West End Heathers cast. Image Credit: London Theatre

Book Review: Empress of the World ~ Sara Ryan

Looking across the room at someone you’ve never seen before but feeling the world go silent around you as you’re drawn into this beautiful...

General Election 2024 ~ The Results: Live

Welcome to Forge Press Arts & Theatre’s live coverage of the 2024 General Election Result, with Arts & Theatre Editor Sophie Layton (she/her). We...

Juno Dawson to speak at Juno Books

International bestselling author Juno Dawson will visit the LGBTQ+ bookshop Juno Books next month. The queer author, who has written bestsellers such as Clean...

Sheffield Hallam Candidate Spotlights: Jason Leman, Green Party

An interview with the Green Party's candidate for Sheffield Hallam.

Sheffield Hallam Candidate Spotlights: Isaac Howarth, Conservative Party

Find out the main aims of Isaac Howarth, the Conservative Party candidate for Sheffield Hallam.