Sex Education- “Every aspect of this final season broke my heart so beautifully.”

After a long and exciting build-up, the final season of the hit Netflix original Sex Education has arrived on Netflix. With a wide range of returning cast and brand new characters, it’s time for the final class before the students of Moordale finally graduate. 

Sex Education’s final season continues the story of Otis, Eric and a small contingent of Moordale students who find themselves at Cavendish Sixth Form following the shutdown of their old school. Here, they find a wildly more diverse school, including Aisha, Abbi and Roman, and to Otis’ horror, a competing sex therapist named O.

Meanwhile, Maeve has just begun her writing course in America and Jean Milburn is trying to cope not only with new-born Joy but also the impromptu arrival of her sister into the home. This season of Sex Education was always going to be a sad one, as we’ve known for a while that this was to be the last. But to say that the writers, cast and production team nailed it is an understatement; they completely smashed it out of the park! This season was filled with depth, emotion and so much power!

Every character goes on an important journey throughout the eight episodes, developing in ways they never have before. This gives us an even deeper connection with our fan favourites and new characters! This season’s new clique of LGBTQ+ characters, known as the Coven, give a whole host of new identities light and visibility in ways they never have been before. The range of identities portrayed in this season is hugely inspiring, especially from some characters we may not expect. The emotion throughout the entire season is powerful, visceral even and makes the end of the season that much more painful. Sex Education has always been brilliant at portraying people and issues that most other media shy away from, and I felt seen like never before in this season.

I’m not exaggerating when I say that every cast member in this season is spectacular, the show would feel so much emptier without even one of them. But my personal highlights begin with Anthony Lexa as Abbi. She gives her role such a depth and character that is simply unrivalled. Despite only being in the final season of the show, I felt more connected to her than any other character and not getting any more Abbi content is honestly so heart-breaking for me. She deserves her own spin-off! I also loved seeing Mimi Keene return as Ruby, and her story this season is one that really shows off how pecking orders affect everyone in a school, especially those who have fallen from grace.

Sex Education season 4 is the ending I didn’t know I needed but am so grateful to have gotten. Every aspect of this final season broke my heart so beautifully.

Rating: 5 / 5 Stars

The final season of Sex Education is now available to stream on Netflix

Image Credit: The Movie Database (TMDB) (themoviedb.org)

Murdle wins Book of the Year

Last night book-lovers across the UK watched this year’s edition of The British Book Awards unfold at Grosvenor House in London. These awards, which...

The flawed student loan system

The student loan system operates on assumptions, and what Student Finance labels you as can make or break your university experience. Students...

Exploring the far-flung paradise of Palawan, Philippines

As midnight approached on the 31st of December, I boarded my second flight heading to the Philippines. Swapping my scarf and mittens for sunglasses...

Book Review: SAS Rogue Heroes ~ Ben Macintyre

The Second World War was a tragedy that led to many of the things the modern world has today, including the United Nations and...

SUTCo Review: Shakespeare in the Park: As You Like It

This weekend saw the Sheffield University Theatre Company (SUTCo) take over Crookes Valley Park for a two-day production of Shakespeare’s As You Like It...

Why is everyone running half marathons all of a sudden?

You can run, but you can’t hide - half marathon fever is sweeping across our students like a newfound epidemic. Your friends are no...