Sheffield Steelers open up a two-point gap at the top of the league after emphatic win

The Steelers put five past the Belfast Giants on Saturday, helping them win their sixth game in a row. 

The game began quickly with the Steelers coming flying out the blocks and going one goal up within the first two minutes thanks to the early efforts of Mikko Juusola. 

This set the tempo for the first period of the match where the Steelers continued to push forward, playing at speed and with confidence after their good run of form. Despite some spirited defending by the Giants, the Steelers took advantage of the first sin bin of the game and scored a second after a good ball from Brett Neumann was finished off by Patrick Watling. 

Not long after, Neumann would turn from provider to goal scorer by adding a third Steelers goal two and a half minutes before the end of the first period, putting his team in a strong position going into the second.

The Steelers, however, wouldn’t have it all their own way as the Belfast Giants clawed a goal back before the home team was reduced to three outfield players for a period of time after Scott Allen and Mark Simpson were sin binned. Sheffield was able to defend well and got themselves to the third period with no more damage to the scoreline. 

After this, the Steelers were back to their best. Following an uneventful start to the period with little goalmouth action, the Giants began to open up in search of a way back into the game, leaving space for the Steelers and Neumann to counter. He played a ball to  Allen who scored the Steelers’ fourth of the night. 

Daniel Ciampini added a fifth to seal a huge win 5-1 for the Steelers ahead of their clash with Glasgow Clan on Sunday, sending the fans home happy and sitting pretty two points clear at the top of the league. 

Man of the match: Brett Neumann

Image Credit: @steelershockey via X

Murdle wins Book of the Year

Last night book-lovers across the UK watched this year’s edition of The British Book Awards unfold at Grosvenor House in London. These awards, which...

The flawed student loan system

The student loan system operates on assumptions, and what Student Finance labels you as can make or break your university experience. Students...

Exploring the far-flung paradise of Palawan, Philippines

As midnight approached on the 31st of December, I boarded my second flight heading to the Philippines. Swapping my scarf and mittens for sunglasses...