The Glasgow Clan ended the Steelers’ winning run as they took the game by two goals to one after a goal line scramble in the final 10 seconds went in favour of the Clan, condemning Sheffield to their first defeat in 11.

Playing just a day after their demolition job of defending champions Belfast Giants, the Steelers initially appeared to pick up exactly where they left off as they commanded the early exchanges and took the lead through Mikko Juusola. He showcased great control and poise, tucking home in front of 8,500 Sheffield fans in attendance at the Utilita Arena.

However, it didn’t go all their own way as just 42 seconds later Jordan Cownie of the Clan equalised against the run of play. The Steelers came away from the period leading possession and shot-on-goal stats comfortably, yet it was all square.

The second period was much the same; the Steelers continued to dominate the shot count but found themselves behind after just half an hour as Nate Kallen finished from close range.

The Clan were leading but the Steelers kept on pushing the pace throughout the rest of the second period and into the third, where they desperately searched for an equaliser that many felt would have been deserved.

The Steelers and their boisterous crowd, acting almost as an extra man, thought they had their reward with just four seconds left on the clock. A massive scramble around the Clan goal appeared to end with the puck in their net, but the officials didn’t think so.

Sheffield head coach Aaron Fox used his challenge but it didn’t change the decision and meant that the Steelers fell to a rare defeat, despite controlling the tempo for large parts of the contest and having over 25 more shots than the ultimately victorious Glasgow Clan.

Even after the defeat, the Steelers remain two points clear at the top of the Elite League while the Clan move to fourth.

Man of the Match – Jack Kielly

Steelers man of the match – Mikko Juusola

Image Credit: @steelershockey via X