When you go shopping on Ecclesall Road, have you ever noticed strange goings-on? Have you ever seen something that you can’t quite explain? A strange object in the sky? I haven’t, but I have seen SUTCo’s latest venture Lights Over Tesco Car Park, and they certainly had something to tell…

Lights Over Tesco Car Park follows a small group of extra-terrestrial enthusiasts who get a call from Caitlin about an alien coming to stay in her spare room. In an unusual mix of an unhinged story, several abduction flashbacks and some flying saucers, this absurdist piece goes on a wander through everything everyone thinks they know.

This show was wild. I usually start with a somewhat logically organised explainer of what the story was about but even I’m not 100% sure what I saw. The plot (I think there was an overall plot!) was very disjointed and confusing, the show closed with me very unsure of what had just happened and what this production was trying to tell us.

What I do know, however, is that the show was a lot of fun. What it lost in a clear plot was replaced by an hour filled with laughs, breakings of character and an all-round wild experience. Having the show play in Bar One’s Raynor Lounge made the space feel a lot more intimate, and very funny when audience members were called upon to join in. The costumes also stood out, with bright coloured beanies and an alien mask – there was a lot you just had to be there for!

The cast of Lights Over Tesco Car Park. From left to right – Andrew Hurrell, Lizzie Salusbury, Alec Malkin, Alex Chan & Caitlin Wood. Image Credit: Lights Over Tesco Car Park

This show consisted of a 5-person cast, featuring Alec Malkin, Alex Chan, Andrew Hurrell, Lizzie Salusbury and the voice of Caitlin Wood, each playing themselves. They all gave good performances and working really well with each other, the people they pulled on stage, and the wider audience as well, reacting to every comment, jibe and joke thrown their way. Andrew, in particular, did a fantastic job of engaging with the audience, with many funny moments and the occasional SUTCo inside joke thrown in there too, which went over the heads of some but were hilarious to others.

Light Over Tesco Car Park is a strange step into the world of absurdist comedy. It may have had some confusing elements and beats, but the show kept the audience laughing for almost the entire time it was playing, and I’m sure not a single person in the room would doubt its pure comedic nature was vastly different from anything SUTCo have done in a long time.

Rating: ★★★☆☆

Lights Over Tesco Car Park played from November 15th to 19th in Raynor Lounge at Bar One. For future productions from SUTCo, see @_sutco on Instagram

Image Credit: Lights Over Tesco Car Park