Touring Production Review: Sister Act

When you end up needing the guiding hand of God, where better to turn than a gospel choir? With a very important one touring the country, I took advantage of this travelling gift and went to see Sister Act, to find out just how enlightened I could become.

Sister Act follows Deloris Van Cartier, a singer in Philadelphia who witnesses a murder committed by her gangster boyfriend Curtis Jackson. Fearing she will be pursued by her boyfriend for talking to the police, she is placed inside a religious convent, run by Mother Superior, where she puts her musical talent to use with the dire convent choir. But with Curtis Jackson closing in, will God save this talent, or has her fate already been decided?

This production was an unusual one. It wasn’t bad by any stretch of the imagination, it’s actually quite well done. But for some reason this production didn’t quite land for me. I’ve always been a bit lukewarm to the 1992 film and unfortunately this didn’t do much to change my mind. Many people around me however loved it! There couldn’t be more positive comments coming out of the theatre. And I can see why; most of the cast were spectacular, the effects and staging were executed very well, and the comedy was top-notch. We were laughing the entire way through.

One element I was slightly disappointed with though was Lesley Joseph as Mother Superior. The star of Birds of a Feather has been featured extensively on promotional materials but was, sadly, the weakest cast member. She wasn’t bad at all by any means, but her voice in particular is notably less powerful than the rest of the cast. I’m not a huge fan of celebrities taking roles in musical theatre if that’s not their medium, there are hundreds of musical theatre performers who struggle to find roles, and I do wish this role was given to one of them instead.

From left to right – Landi Oshinowo as Deloris Van Cartier & Alfie Parker as Eddie Souther. Image Credit: Dress Circle & Collective Agents

There were still some fantastic performances in the cast! Landi Oshinowo as Deloris Van Cartier was a powerhouse of talent. She took the main role and ran with it! Her voice is astounding and her control of her performance, and the effect she has on the rest of the cast and the audience is infectious. She made you want to sing the entire time and is the sort of person you want to randomly start dancing in a club with. Also worth mentioning is Alfie Parker as Eddie Souther, the awkwardly charismatic police officer who is a blast whenever on stage and his comedic moments are unparalleled throughout!

Sister Act is a faithful reincarnation of the legendary film with a great cast and is staged very well, with a load of catchy songs. Whilst it didn’t land with me, I was very clearly in the minority with that opinion, so may be a better land with other students and theatregoers.

Rating: ★★★☆☆

Sister Act is touring the U.K. until October 5th 2024

Image Credit: Sister Act

Murdle wins Book of the Year

Last night book-lovers across the UK watched this year’s edition of The British Book Awards unfold at Grosvenor House in London. These awards, which...

The flawed student loan system

The student loan system operates on assumptions, and what Student Finance labels you as can make or break your university experience. Students...

Exploring the far-flung paradise of Palawan, Philippines

As midnight approached on the 31st of December, I boarded my second flight heading to the Philippines. Swapping my scarf and mittens for sunglasses...

Book Review: SAS Rogue Heroes ~ Ben Macintyre

The Second World War was a tragedy that led to many of the things the modern world has today, including the United Nations and...