Minimalism is an unusual art movement, with many people loving or hating the simplicity of the pieces that characterise it. But mix in some bright colours, and how does that change our appreciation for minimalism? I went to have a look at Colour, Form and Line at Graves Gallery to find out.

Colour, Form and Line is an abstract collection in a range of media, from sculpture to painting, even videography, investigating the manipulation of vision through colour and form. The works in this collection are a varied mix of simple pieces and complex works, featuring a range of artists including Bridget Riley, François Morellet and Dan Holdsworth.

From left to right – Bridget Riley, François Morellet & Dan Holdsworth. Image Credit: National Museum of Women in the Arts, Samuel Le Paire Fine Art & DAN HOLDSWORTH

This exhibition is one of my favourite collections of artwork I have seen. The range of different concepts, colours and pieces kept my attention throughout, with many pieces drawing my eyes from across the gallery, some of which I’d love to display prints or replicas of around my room! There were so many beautiful pieces in this collection but my two favourites were ‘Spatial Object, Small, No 259 (red), No 270 (green) [and] No 164 (blue)’ by Dan Holdsworth. These stunning minimalist sculptures were simple yet elegant, with colour that easily attracted your gaze & subtle black designs that varied between each. I also really liked ‘Construction’ by Truus Wilmink, with the interlocking perspex rectangles giving this geometric piece a bold silhouette, showcasing the awe of simple geometry.

Colour, Form and Line is a brilliant collection, showing the fantastic creations that can come from minimalism with the application of bright colours & a range of media. The collection is a lot of fun to take a look through, with pieces for everyone to enjoy (even if we can’t take them all home!)

Rating: ★★★★★

Colour, Form and Line is on display in Graves Gallery until December 2nd

From left to right – ‘Spatial Object, Small, No 164 (blue)’, ‘Spatial Object, Small, No 259 (red)’, ‘Spatial Object, Small, No 270 (green)’ by Dan Holdsworth & ‘Construction’ by Truus Wilmink. Image Credit: DAN HOLDSWORTH & Museum Boijmans Van Beuningen