Sheffield University Theatre Company (SUTCo) returns next week for their latest theatrical venture. Following their hugely successful week 3, 5 and 8 productions The 39 Steps, Swap the Press and Lights Over Tesco Car Park, their final production of 2023, Medea, promises to end the year on a high!

Written in the 5th-century BCE by Euripides, Medea tells the story of desire for revenge, as an angered Medea seeks retribution for her husband Jason’s treacherous and adulterous ways. After spurning her for a young princess, Medea vows revenge against her husband, backed by the Gods, and is a riveting conclusion to the ancient Greek epic of Jason and his quest for the golden fleece. Co-directed by Caitlin Wood and Kirsty Lucas, the show brings together a 30-strong team of SUTCo newcomers and regulars to bring this ancient tale to life. With elements of dance alongside their performance, this show is sure to be a production long remembered in SUTCo history! Medea will be showing for four performances, with an accessible run and student discount on one night each, meaning everyone can come and enjoy this spectacle of classic theatre!

Co-directors Caitlin Wood & Kirsty Lucas. Image Credit: Mudskipper Theatre & SUTCo’s Swap the Press

“The original play only has limited stage directions, which also don’t fit with the space we have, so trying to block something of this scale took a lot of work” said co-director Kirsty Lucas about the challenges of staging Medea, “Not being able to use the space until the show week makes it a lot more difficult, but our cast are doing a fantastic job”. Caitlin Wood went on to explain that in Medea “everything happens in one room. Every scene takes place in the same location so seeing our characters evolve and break apart in that one space is a challenge to portray”.

Production Manager Phil Saxby is faced with a different challenge. This “technically unique show, especially in areas like sound and lighting where theatre is more traditional, [means that] getting to add elements that are more jarring and shocking to this ancient Greek play has been so interesting. Working with a barer set…really emphasises the play’s interpersonal relations, and making our costumes as timeless as we can shows the importance of the story to this day. You should really come and see the show to experience all the tech behind it!”

SUTCo have had a fantastic year of theatre, with nine plays, shorts and comedies running in 2023, all of which receiving great reviews! Make sure to see Medea next week to avoid missing out on their final show of the year!

SUTCo’s Medea is running from November 29th to December 2nd at the University Drama Studio. Get your tickets here

Image Credit: SUTCo’s Medea