SUPAS Review: Songs for a New World

I went into SUPAS’s Songs for a New World expecting a musical, but I honestly don’t think I can class what I saw as simply a musical. CJ Simon as director and Bethany Oaten as musical director have managed to adapt SUPAS’s first ‘theatrical song cycle’ (yes, I did Google that). It is an impressive feat and feels professional almost immediately when you see the band perform alongside the performers. I can’t really say this play has a plot as it is better suited to being described as a performance of numerous songs, all linked by the theme of “decision”. Though not every part of this play worked for me, it is hard to deny how interesting and complex this piece of theatre is.

There were four cast members who all had a tremendous amount of work to do throughout this play, yet they all got a moment to shine and deservedly so. It’s impossible to deny that each performer gave their all to each song, and given how many songs there were, that is a triumph in itself. Maddie Carling (Woman 1) has an exceptional voice and was able to hit amazing notes, whilst Coby Brown (Man 2) had an undeniable charm to each of their roles. Both Carling and Brown had a lot of time onstage together and produced some beautiful moments, though I would’ve loved to see more variety in their roles (an issue with the source material I am sure)! Alice Bell was exceptional as Man 1, leading the first act of the play. The power of her voice and the clear fun she had with each role was outstanding, I just would’ve loved to see more of her in the second act.

The cast of SUPAS’s Songs for a New World (from left to right). Top – Maddie Carling as Woman 1 & Coby Brown as Man 2. Bottom – Alice Bell as Man 1 & Katie Weller as Woman 2. Image Credit: SUPAS’s Songs for a New World

Though every actor was brilliant, I can’t deny that Katie Weller as Woman 2 stole the show for me. She was a constant delight to watch, able to make me laugh one second and feel sympathy the next. Her performances of ‘Just One Step’ and ‘Surabaya-Santa’ were the peaks of the show and her energy throughout each was undeniably contagious. The latter of the songs was my favourite for its fun pace, great direction and fun, minimalist set. However, after this song, Songs for a New World struggled to find a similar energy for me. I understand completely that the source material is at fault but the minimalist sets, simple direction and similar tones to each of the following songs began to meld them into one another, leaving me a bit musically fatigued by the end.

Despite my criticisms, Songs for a New World felt very unique to any student play I have seen. The band brought a constant liveliness to the piece and really enhanced how special it was to see the actors give their all. Not every song worked as well as the others and the direction could’ve used a little oomph now and then, but I’m astonished at how well they were able to pull off this piece of theatre, and I’m intrigued to see where they could go next.

Rating: ★★★☆☆

Songs for a New World played from November 23rd to 25th at the University Drama Studio. For future productions from SUPAS, see @supasshef on Instagram

Image Credit: SUPAS’s Songs for a New World

Murdle wins Book of the Year

Last night book-lovers across the UK watched this year’s edition of The British Book Awards unfold at Grosvenor House in London. These awards, which...

The flawed student loan system

The student loan system operates on assumptions, and what Student Finance labels you as can make or break your university experience. Students...

Exploring the far-flung paradise of Palawan, Philippines

As midnight approached on the 31st of December, I boarded my second flight heading to the Philippines. Swapping my scarf and mittens for sunglasses...

Book Review: SAS Rogue Heroes ~ Ben Macintyre

The Second World War was a tragedy that led to many of the things the modern world has today, including the United Nations and...