Queermaggeddon returns for a sparkling sequel at Theatre Deli

Are you yearning to brighten up these dark December days? How about something that provides a platform for diverse voices, challenging stereotypes and celebrating queerness?

After the success of our first programmed event in August, Queermageddon is back and ready to light up Theatre Deli once again with a dazzling sequel on Saturday 9th December. What can you expect? Hilarious local comedians, vibrant queer energy, an afterparty and glitter (probably).

Queermageddon is organised by Queer Comedy Sheffield, the brainchild of me (Ella Nobre Watts) and Lucy Smith-Jones. In 2021, we decided to start an open mic night for the LGBTQIA+ people and allies of South Yorkshire to come together and laugh in an inclusive space. The comedy landscape can feel daunting, so we were determined to create a space where the queer community could feel safe enjoying and trying out comedy, while connecting with like-minded folks. Our monthly open mic night QUACKS at DINA (and later Theatre Deli) has grown in ways we never dreamt of, giving rise to a fully-programmed show, Queermageddon.

At the forefront of Queermageddon: The Sequel is our vivacious headliner, Vix Leyton. Discovered by Mark Watson on Twitter in 2019, Welsh comic Vix Leyton is a natural storyteller with a keen eye for observation, combining warm, whimsical charm with PR hustle. Her panel show podcast The Comedy Arcade is both an audio success and compelling live show, picking up a nomination for Leicester Comedy’s best podcast in 2021 and racking up sell out shows at Edinburgh Fringe with Underbelly and The Stand.

Vix will be bringing material from her upcoming tour Anti-Hero: a deep look into the human psyche, and exploring the notion of people pleasing, a theme for Vix’s life she didn’t even realise she had until she started stand up comedy. Can you be the main character without being a good guy? Do you really have to strive to be better as you get older? Can’t you just be worse?

Joining Vix is a lineup of local gems, including blind enby drag king Tito Bone, the wickedly talented Stevie Yardy, the flirtatious and charismatic Hannah Braggins and the effortlessly chaotic Lucy Smith-Jones. I (Ella Nobre Watts) will be your host for the evening, guiding you through this night of merriment.

Our previous events have been described as having ‘impeccable vibes’ and attendees found it ‘refreshing to have a local queer-centric night to try new stuff out in a safe space.’

Georgia Mayhew, of Sheffield Magazine, said of the last Queermageddon in August: ‘To say that the event helps showcase the voices of those who are often sidelined in society and “othered” as one homogenous group, there was a great diversity in the speakers’ perspectives and jokes. No topic was off limits and over the course of the night we covered everything from being trapped in tents with bigoted aunts, the classification of “danger poos” and experimental vibrators.

‘I was told to expect a night of laughter, music, drag kings and queer joy all round – and I can safely say I was not disappointed. While these events provide a safe space for the LGBTQIA+ community, the night is absolutely open to allies too. I will be taking the first opportunity to return to Queer Comedy Sheffield Events and the sweet relief of fun, inclusive comedy – and would encourage anyone who fancies a different night out too!’

Fancy joining in on the fun? Secure a ticket for Queermageddon: The Sequel on December 9th at Theatre Deli here.

The doors open at 7:00pm, allowing you a chance to grab a drink and socialise before the laughter kicks off at 7:30pm. The night will end at approximately 10:00pm (with an interval at the midway point) – and don’t forget to stick around for the afterparty to continue letting the good times roll!

General admission tickets are available for £15. And for those that need it, 50 tickets can be snagged at £12 each using the discount code ‘Cozzie_Lives’. The best part? No ticket fees for anyone! For any enquiries, feel free to contact us at [email protected] or find us on Instagram @queercomedysheff

Don’t miss this inclusive Sheffield comedy night bringing some much-needed sparkle to the darkest month of the year.