The Zoom card price rise is counterproductive

The extension of the 18-21 Zoom pass in 2021 was something that the young people of South Yorkshire were incredibly pleased with. The South Yorkshire Mayor, Oliver Coppard, is taking notice of what the area needs, in the cost of living crisis and to reduce the number of cars on the road polluting South Yorkshire’s air. It seemed as if it was a new dawn for public transport in Sheffield, people were able to leave their cars at home without it being of a great cost to them, it now became affordable to use these systems. Transport companies now revoking the Zoom 80p universal fare and replacing it with a £1.50 bus and £2 tram cost, is a slap in the face to the progress that had been made.

Mr Coppard has stated that he is “determined to fight these cuts, so we can have the public transport system we deserve.”, he agreed with the pushback on the revoking of the 80p ticket, and said that he would back the protests against it. Showing that the people in power see the benefits of having cheaper transport. Not only is this a kick in the teeth to the young people who are already suffering through the cost of living crisis, but it is a kick in the teeth to the suggestion that Sheffield will become a city that will have cleaner air, and contribute less to global warming. Personally, I have a car at University with me, which used to be used for much longer journeys, until the cost of the trams went up I would only use my car once or twice a week, since being priced out of using public transport this is not the case. As a student with a low income, it is unavoidable, I simply cannot justify overspending on public transport, when the easier, cheaper solution is available to me, despite the increase in my carbon footprint it will cause.

One of the most popular places to go in Sheffield is Kelham Island, it is beautiful, whether that be for some lunch, to visit a cafe to study in or to visit the bars and pubs. Me and my housemates used to travel there by jumping on the tram and it would only cost us £1.60 for a return, making it so nice to be able to visit such a lovely place with such ease. Now for the same journey it would be a £4 return, which is simply not feasible, considering nearby parking is much cheaper. So mine and my friends’ trips to Kelham Island have now turned into a drive and the parking costs us all a combined £2.50, thus making it very difficult to make the environmentally friendly decision whilst trying to budget appropriately. Which is something that I struggle to feel guilty about, given the compromising position I am being placed in by the thieving public transport companies that see it suitable to be charging these prices that soon after offering a price decrease.

These cuts are jeopardising our futures. Until the public transport systems of many major cities across the country are redesigned and funded, people will struggle to choose the option of the greater good. Meaning a lot of these schemes, such as the ‘Clean Air Zone’ scheme in Sheffield, will be deemed worthless, as the main aim of that is to stop vehicles from travelling in by charging ones that have a larger carbon footprint, but all this is doing is generating money, and still we see these larger vehicles travelling around. This lies at the heart of the problems we are having with the climate crisis, and the struggles that young people are having to contend with in the cost of living crisis, as it is becoming increasingly difficult to be financially stable and still be able to live in a way that you find morally sound. This increase in the cost of public transport will put more and more cars on the road, and make it less and less accessible for the general public, thus generating less and less income for local businesses. To protest against the rising cost of public transport, is a protest for our futures, a protest for Sheffield to become a city that people can see all the sights of, without worrying about the enormous costs and increase in pollution in doing so.

SUTCo Review: Shakespeare in the Park: As You Like It

This weekend saw the Sheffield University Theatre Company (SUTCo) take over Crookes Valley Park for a two-day production of Shakespeare’s As You Like It...