Act 2 for SUTCo & SUPAS!

The Sheffield University Theatre Company (SUTCo) and Sheffield University Performing Arts Society (SUPAS) have announced their shows for semester 2! The two societies have been busy this year with their impressive array of shows that look set to continue this whirlwind momentum in the second half of the academic year!

Following the successes of We Are, In Fact, The Problem, The 39 Steps, Swap the Press, Lights Over Tesco Car Park and Medea, SUTCo will be returning for their three semester 2 shows, 5 Lesbians Eating a Quiche, Why We Stay and this year’s Shakespeare in the Park: As You Like It. 5 Lesbians Eating a Quiche, written by Andrew Hobgood and Evan Linder, is being directed by Phoebe Cookson. The show was presented at the 2012 New York International Fringe Festival before having an off-Broadway run and tells the story of the 1956 annual quiche breakfast for the Susan B. Anthony Society for the Sisters of Gertrude Stein, which is interrupted by the atomic bomb siren!

SUTCo’s 2023/24 Semester 2 shows 5 Lesbians Eating a Quiche, Why We Stay & Shakespeare in the Park: As You Like It. Image Credit: SUTCo

In week 5 is the original play Why We Stay, written and directed by SUTCo’s Darcey Severne. This horror play follows five university students who whilst staying at a hotel, meet the mysterious Iris, and quickly find that not everything about the hotel is as it seems, with our characters questioning everything around them! Rounding off the year will be the return of Shakespeare in the Park, with this year’s selected play being As You Like It. This play tells the tale of Rosalind who escapes to the Forest of Arden, within which she meets a variety of strange characters and features some of Shakespeare’s most famous lines!

Switching over to SUPAS, their musical of choice next semester is Made in Dagenham! After this semester’s productions of Songs for a New World and The Addams Family, Made in Dagenham is grounded in the 1968 Ford sewing machinists strike in Dagenham, and the story of Rita O’Grady who became an unlikely leader in the battle for gender equality and equal rights.

SUPAS’s 2023/24 Semester 2 show Made in Dagenham. Image Credit: SUPAS

SUTCo and SUPAS have an exciting semester ahead with four shows between them to keep you busy, and with the range on offer, there’s sure to be something for everyone!

Auditions for SUTCo’s 5 Lesbians Eating a Quiche & Why We Stay run on December 11th and 12th, with auditions for As You Like It & SUPAS’s Made in Dagenham running in semester 2. See @_sutco & @supasshef on Instagram for further details about these productions & auditions. All reviews of semester 1’s SUTCo & SUPAS shows are available on the Forge Press website

Image Credit: SUTCo & SUPAS

Murdle wins Book of the Year

Last night book-lovers across the UK watched this year’s edition of The British Book Awards unfold at Grosvenor House in London. These awards, which...

The flawed student loan system

The student loan system operates on assumptions, and what Student Finance labels you as can make or break your university experience. Students...

Exploring the far-flung paradise of Palawan, Philippines

As midnight approached on the 31st of December, I boarded my second flight heading to the Philippines. Swapping my scarf and mittens for sunglasses...

Book Review: SAS Rogue Heroes ~ Ben Macintyre

The Second World War was a tragedy that led to many of the things the modern world has today, including the United Nations and...