The Sheffield University Theatre Company (SUTCo) have announced the contestants for their version of the celebrity gameshow Taskmaster. Taking place throughout Semester Two under the watchful eyes of Taskmaster and SUTCo President Caitlin Wood (SPIT, We Are In Fact The Problem), the latest take on the hugely successful gameshow promises to be a chaotic and hilarious new outing from the theatrical society!

Taskmaster is a gameshow in which five celebrities and comedians complete absurd practical tasks in an attempt to win points. The show, which premiered in 2015, grew quickly into a cultural phenomenon, with some of the best names in comedy having taken part, including James Acaster, Frankie Boyle, Katherine Ryan and Hugh Dennis. Hosted by Greg Davies as the imposing Taskmaster and assisted by Alex Horne, the series has now gone onto its 17th season, as well as various specials throughout its time.

SUTCo President & Taskmaster Caitlin Wood. Image Credit: SUTCo

Back in Sheffield, SUTCo have selected five contestants, voted for by SUTCo members to take on this version of the gameshow. First is Alex Chan (Lights Over Tesco Car Park, The 39 Steps), who has promised to tackle the tasks “with a sense of cautious optimism”. The host of Forge Radio’s ‘In the Wings’ is sure to be an exciting member of the panel, no doubt ready to bring home the win (and represent Forge Radio at the same time!). Next is Ambrose Robinson (A Midsummer Night’s Dream, Swap the Press), a PhD student and Meditation Society member. Eager to win The Taskmaster’s approval, when informed of his nomination replied “Oh well. Whatever happens, happens”. A disinterested response, or a clever gameplan to catch other contestants off-guard? Only time will tell…

Joining the line-up is Izzy Wood (A Midsummer Night’s Dream, The 39 Steps), promising to “slay for all the girlies” in the society, and ready to take on her fierce competition to take the crown. But with Kirsty Lucas also on the panel, that may be easier said than done! Lucas (We Are In Fact The Problem, Swap the Press) has already come out fighting, saying she will “handle tasks with grace and elegance”, but also hitting out at anyone who disagrees, declaring them “a liar and a scoundrel” in her early statements. Completing the group is Matthew Heppell (The 39 Steps, Medea), who has promised to “handle Taskmaster with great wisdom”. But will this wisdom win over the competition, and most importantly, The Taskmaster, to let him take the win?

With our contestants and Taskmaster ready, the tasks can now begin! Who will take the victory, and who will become infamous in SUTCo history for their antics? And will anyone be able to win over The Taskmaster at all? We cannot wait to see what happens, and will be following SUTCo Taskmaster at every step of the way!

SUTCo Taskmaster will take place throughout Semester Two. For updates, see @_sutco on Instagram

SUTCo Taskmaster contestants. Image Credit: SUTCo