Both harrowing and comical, Mark Farrelly’s Howerd’s End opened for a special, one-off performance at The Crucible on Tuesday evening. The play details the romantic life of comedian and entertainer Frankie Howerd, known as Frank to his inner circle. For those unfamiliar, Howerd had a phenomenally successful career which spanned from the late 1940s until his death in 1992. He started his career appearing on BBC Radio and later performed at Peter Cook’s Establishment Club and played roles in a range of films including The Ladykillers (1955) and Carry on Doctor (1967).

However, what was interesting about the production was, although references were made to Howerd’s stardom, the real focus was on his relationship with long-term partner Dennis Heymer. The show follows Dennis’ journey as he encounters Howerd’s ghost and recalls key moments of their joint lives in the hope of healing old wounds. 

Although the show at times may seem over the top, underneath there is an intriguing and very personal story being told. Heymer was younger and confident in his sexuality in comparison to Howerd who lived in fear that his homosexuality would become public. This meant that Heymer was often introduced as Howerd’s manager or lighting designer, something which caused great tension in the relationship.

From left to right – Mark Farrelly as Dennis Heymer & Simon Cartwright as Frankie Howerd. Image Credit: Mark Farrelly & Brandon Bishop

The anguish and frustration of both men is expertly portrayed by writer Mark Farrelly and Simon Cartwright who play Dennis and Frankie respectively. From their so-called first “real kiss” until their final moments together Howerd’s End depicts the torment faced by LGBTQ+ people in the 20th century. 

The show is kept alive by its use of audience participation. Those watching were encouraged to clap along and some audience members were chosen to interact with Howerd during recreations of his stand-up comedy routines. As the show was in The Crucible’s Playhouse, it helped to make the performance feel more intimate and personal. It was reminiscent in some aspects of something that would be performed at The Edinburgh Fringe. This is not meant as an insult bearing in mind that the festival is where many great performances have been born. 

Overall, the experience of watching the play was incredibly gratifying and it is certainly worth a watch. You can catch Howerd’s End  at the Hope Mill Theatre in Manchester on the 3rd of May or why not take a short trip to Rotherham Civic Theatre to see one of Farrelly’s other productions, Quentin Crisp: Naked Hope, on the 27th of April.

Rating: ★★★☆☆

Howerd’s End played at the Tanya Moiseiwitsch Playhouse on February 6th & is touring the U.K. until October 6th

Image Credit: Sheffield Theatres