The much-anticipated Broadway transfer of the hit one-person show My Son’s a Queer (but What Can You Do?) has been postponed. Rob Madge’s original show, which was due to open at Broadway’s Lyceum Theatre in just three weeks time, has been delayed ‘indefinitely’, according to a statement released earlier today.

In a statement, the show said: “The producers of My Son’s a Queer (but What Can You Do?) announced today that the production will open on Broadway next season instead of this spring as previously announced. Theatre and dates to be announced at a later date”. The reason for this delay is currently unknown.

Statement issued by My Son’s a Queer (but What Can You Do?). Image Credit: My Son’s a Queer (but What Can You Do?)

Taking to their Instagram account, the show’s writer and sole actor Rob Madge said: “I found out about this yesterday, I received a phone call informing me of the news and it sort of felt like the rug was just swept from under my feet”.

“Obviously I feel sort of, really really devastated and I just need to be as honest as I possibly can” they said, fighting back tears, “what’s meant for you will not pass you by. I’m very sorry to have disappointed anybody who might have wanted to come and watch it…I’m heartbroken”.

“I apologise to people if I’m not great at talking or responding on the matter…I’ve been working on this, on this run specifically since May 2023, and the prospect of Broadway has been on the horizon since August 2022, so for nearly two years of thoughts to suddenly go ‘gone!’ is difficult”.

However, they were also hopeful, ending by saying: “the show is not cancelled, the show is being postponed…this is absolutely the right thing for the show”.

Image Credit: @V_Musings

My Son’s a Queer (but What Can You Do?) is Rob Madge’s original play about their life and experience growing up as a non-binary young person, recounting their early experiences with performing in their living room as various Disney characters for family members. Madge’s show enjoyed three limited runs at various venues in London, and winning the 2022 WhatsOnStage Award for Best Off-West End Show.

The postponement of the Broadway transfer of this show is sure to be devastating for the theatrical community, as well as for LGBTQ+ audiences, especially given the short period until it was due to open, and this taking place in the middle of LGBTQ+ History Month. But Madge, despite the emotion, is confident that their show will make it to Broadway, and we will hopefully see further updates in the near future.

My Son’s a Queer (but What Can You Do?) played at the Ambassadors Theatre in London’s West End from January 25th to April 1st 2023

Image Credit: The Guardian