As winter’s icy chill begins to settle and mornings slowly become lighter, we move closer to Valentine’s Day. With origins in the ancient Roman festival Lupercalia, the holiday has evolved into an explosion of red hearts and plush teddies, greetings cards and chocolate boxes. More recently, the holiday has shifted once more into not only a celebration of romantic love, but of platonic love too, with the term ‘Galentines’ gaining popularity over the last 10 years. Despite this, many still believe that Valentine’s Day is a commercialised, cringe-worthy, and expensive frivolity. After all, why wait for one day to show the people around you that you love them? In my opinion, it’s easy to get wrapped up in the chaos of everyday life, and one more designated day to show yourself and your loved ones a little bit of appreciation never hurts. Whether you’re spending the holiday with a significant other, with friends or treating yourself to a day of self-care, the festivities don’t have to come at a huge expense. For only a few pounds, there are a vast number of ways you can channel your inner creativity into creating gifts, treats and decorations to accompany your Valentine’s festivities with a personal touch.

For some insight into how to celebrate Valentine’s on a budget, where better to look than our very own student body? I asked 5 students their plans for valentines, and interestingly, many stated that they plan on baking their loved ones a sweet treat, instead of splurging on expensive, impersonal gifts. 

“For Valentine’s day, I plan on baking for my boyfriend as it’s a way to show you care without having to spend too much money on material things. I’m going to make heart-shaped cookies with his favourite chocolate inside.”

Not only was baking suggested by students as an inexpensive and heart-felt gift, it was also suggested as a fun activity to do together as a way of celebrating.

“Instead of Valentine’s crafts, I’ll likely bake something Valentine’s themed instead, such as cake, brownies or gingerbread”, one student suggested, “I plan on making this with a loved one as a way of celebrating.” By doing so, you can enjoy the holiday without having to splash the cash on expensive presents or restaurant meals.

Many of the students I interviewed suggested turning to social media for inspiration too, with TikTok and Pinterest mentioned most frequently when asked where these gift ideas were from. One student commented “I got inspiration for some Valentine’s cupcakes on social media and am looking forward to baking them for my boyfriend.” It appears that social media is Gen-Z’s answer to Google, being the perfect platform to find and share creative ideas. 

When it comes to home-made gifts and treats, the most foolproof option is a greetings card. Over half of the students I interviewed are opting for a DIY Valentine’s card or letter, being an easy way to show your love on a budget. Once again, social media can be a great place to look for design inspiration, with ideas ranging from paper photo booths with your favourite snaps of you and your loved one, or Spotify layouts, complete with the barcode shortcut to your favourite song. 

Similar to baking, crafts and DIY activities can be the perfect way to celebrate Valentines. A quick TikTok scroll can present a plethora of creative ideas, from canvas painting and crocheting to cocktail making and candle wax painting, perfect for a cosy night in with either a significant other or your friends. In fact, students frequently stated they appreciate celebrating platonic love just as much as romantic;

“I think Valentine’s day is cute- it’s a sweet holiday whether you’re in a relationship or not. I like how you can make it about loving your friends!” It’s easy to feel lonely on what can seem like such an exclusive holiday, but celebrating with your best friends through wholesome crafts can be a perfect way to spread love, no matter your relationship status. 

Overall, Valentine’s day certainly evokes some mixed opinions. “I’m not a massive fan of Valentines”, one student admitted, “I’m very much a person who believes love shouldn’t be important on just one day, rather than all year round. I think it’s just an excuse to spend a lot of money’” They’re not alone, with others viewing the holiday as ‘expensive stress’ and ‘a bit of a scam’. Not only this, but a student also stated; “I think if you aren’t in a relationship or have a good group of girlfriends to do ‘Galentines’ with, it can be quite a lonely holiday.” Therefore, it is perhaps important to start normalising treating Valentine’s as an opportunity to practise self-care. 

Therefore, I argue that the warm sentiment behind Valentines is clouded by consumerism, and a pressure to perform grand gestures. As a society we would benefit from returning our focus to what matters: the celebration of love.