Sheffield’s Millennium Gallery currently houses the Phlegm: Pandemic Diary exhibition, which features a thoughtful interpretation of moments from daily life throughout the COVID-19 pandemic. It appears to blur the real with the imaginary through Phlegm’s incorporation of his lanky forest creatures.

The exhibition itself features a series of 68 illustrations that depict various stages of the COVID-19 pandemic. Phlegm’s artwork portrays the struggles we all faced throughout the lockdown, from bulk buying toilet roll to social distancing. 67 of the illustrations are pen and ink drawings, while the final one titled ‘Space’, is a copper engraving. The series of comic-style panels document Phlegm’s daily life and observations throughout the COVID-19 pandemic. They expertly obscure the reality of the pandemic with his established imaginary world of long-limbed woodland creatures, hybrid cities and brilliant contraptions.

Artist Phlegm. Image Credit: Resident Advisor

The Pandemic Diary illustrations are situated on the walls, expanding the perimeter of the exhibition. Walking around to take in the illustrations is an oddly evocative experience as Phlegm’s art perfectly offers expression of both the mundanity and the vast fear throughout the pandemic. The stand out pieces for me were illustrations 40-42, which depict ‘The Roller-coaster of Anxiety’, ‘The Log Flume of Banality’, and ‘The Carousel of Existential Terror’ respectively. These three illustrations capture the very essence of the pandemic experience, summing it up appropriately.

Scattered around the exhibition room stand several large scale sculptures from Phlegm’s 2019 exhibition Mausoleum of Giants that took place in the Eyewitness Works on Milton Street. These giant sculptures are beautifully intimidating, seemingly portraying a subtle ode to Sheffield itself.

It’s a vastly sensitive interpretation of the pandemic, laced with comic relief at the absurdity of it all. It offers an intimate glimpse into Phlegm’s pandemic experience, one which was echoed in all of us. The interjections of humour throughout the illustrations is genius, appealing to a release that is entirely central to the human existence. Without any humour whatsoever, looking back at the pandemic would be a bleak reflection on years lost. Phlegm’s exhibition allows not only this, but permits us to laugh at the experience. It allows us to feel.

Rating: ★★★★☆

Phlegm: Pandemic Diary is on display in the Millennium Gallery until July 7th

From left to right – ‘The Roller-coaster of Anxiety’, ‘The Log Flume of Banality’, & ‘The Carousel of Existential Terror’, by Phlegm. Image Credit: Alicia Amor