Live Review: Porij @ Leadmill

Electric, transcendent, and mesmerising, Porij are just as good – if not better – live as they are in the studio. Playing their inaugural Leadmill set on a Friday night in January, Porij kicked off their performance with a cinematic voice over announcing their new album, and introducing the band as they came on stage. They started the set with a run of songs from their debut album, Teething, which comes out this April. 

The Leadmill is a venue unlike any other, in that it holds a nostalgia and energy that is home to a great musical history. Several greats of the music industry have performed on that stage, and watching Porij up there gives you the impression that they may be joining that list soon. Whilst the venue is famed for its indie club nights and performances from Sheffield stars, Porij dominated the stage with an ease that looks natural. 

Lead vocalist Eggy possesses a natural talent, with a voice so ethereal that it’s hard to believe it isn’t being produced electronically. Eggy commanded the stage and had the audience in the palm of their hand, dropping down into the crowd during their final song, ‘Lose Our Minds’. 

There is clearly an excitement about the upcoming album, from both the band and the fans. Eggy spoke about how incredible it is to be touring with new music, but made a point about playing the hits after they had performed their newer songs. For the vocalist, a firm favourite is ‘Slow Down’, saying, “We can make songs that are never going to be singles but end up being our favourites anyway.”

Whilst these songs are newer and therefore unfamiliar to the fans, the band play them like they were written long ago, like they have done this all before. Even so, the energy of the performance is youthful and full of power. One of their most powerful songs, ‘Nobody Scared’, grapples with themes of sexual harassment, but despite the awful nature of the subject, the energy in the room was electric. The crowd was united with the band in their message, proven by the frequent cheers and all-round good atmosphere in the venue. 

Porij is a band that is well worth going to see. Even if you’re unfamiliar with their work, the sheer energy that they bring to the table is magnetic and you will leave the show a definite fan of their music. The band are continuing their tour around the UK in March and April, with their debut album Teething due to be released on the 26th of April.

Murdle wins Book of the Year

Last night book-lovers across the UK watched this year’s edition of The British Book Awards unfold at Grosvenor House in London. These awards, which...