Steelers dig deep for last-minute win over Panthers

In a high-energy clash at Utilita Arena, Sheffield Steelers faced the Nottingham Panthers yesterday. Both teams displayed strong offensive strategies, but it was the Steelers who dominated and ultimately won the game 6-4.

The home side didn’t waste any time as the forwards were already at Panthers’ goal in the first 30 seconds of the match. With many goal attempts, Nottingham’s Joe Hazeldine only reached the Steelers’ goal for the first time five minutes into the first period. It was then that Felix Paré snapped Sam Jones’ stick in two places and headed to the box.

At 5:50, Josh Nicholls put the Steelers ahead with a power assist from Dominic Cormier, prompting the arena crowds to roar in a standing ovation. Despite Panthers’ forward Alexander Lunsjö aiming for a nearly immediate counterattack, there was no luck for them until the time reached 9:21, when Westin Michaud balanced the score, assisted by Mike Caruso.

Nottingham player Miles McGurty walked off the ice after crashing into Steelers man Patrick Harper, with a little revenge coming right after from Carl Neill. Yet McGurty returned with a beautiful stance as he swerved between the Steelers towards the goal. Right after, Michaud was sent to the box for cross-checking, a two-minute minor penalty.

The Steelers ended the first period with a one-goal advantage by Daniel Ciampini. Assisted by Mitchell Balmas and Colton Saucerman, the puck lobbed over Rok Stojanovic’s shoulders and straight into the goal, taking the scoreline to 3-2 (15:02).

In the second period, the Steelers started at a disadvantage when Nicholls was sent out for a minor penalty. The Panthers rapidly responded to the first period ending with an impressive equaliser by Neill, who set up Paré for a skilful backhand pass to Logan Neilson. Paré demonstrated a strong return to the line-up after a three-match suspension (25:09).

Coming back for another advantage, Kevin Tansey returned the favour, assisted by Niklas Ainen and Nicholls at 28:26. After a squabble between Zach Vinnell and Panthers’ Michaud, Lunsjö tried to get back at the Steelers with Hugo Roy. They were denied entry by Matthew Greenfield, who caught the puck in his hands.

Roy went for the goal solo swiftly after, but no luck. The Steelers continued to dominate with continuous goal attempts and an incredible defence by their Netminder, Greenfield, who once again caught another puck in his hands as McGurty tried the goal.

But the Panthers did not give up. A commotion at the Steelers’ goal in the last 30 seconds of the second period led Greenfield to fall to the floor as all players fought for the puck, but no goal was scored.

After, it seemed that Michaud was tripped at the centre of the ice, leading to a breakaway opportunity for Sheffield, with Mikko Juusola capitalising to score Sheffield’s fourth goal at 41:39. The officials had to review the goal but quickly concluded the Steelers were indeed at an advantage. Eight minutes later, after a Saucerman penalty, Nicholls scored his second goal of the night by picking up a loose puck and taking a step to the left to beat Stojanovic.

During another Saucerman penalty, the Panthers narrowed the gap to just one goal when Anthony Luciani assisted Roy at the backdoor at 52:29. Just 80 seconds later, Otto Nieminen set up Michaud on the powerplay for his second goal of the night, catching up with the top of the league team.

Sheffield swiftly responded and secured the game when the shot from their captain Robert Dowd found its way past Stojanovic, sneaking in at the near post. 

The Steelers maintained pressure in the offensive zone, preventing Stojanovic from leaving his net for an extra attacker. Their strategy paid off, securing another victory, and extending their unbeaten streak to 11 games.

Final score – Steelers 6:4 Panthers

Featured Image Credit: @steelershockey via X