Hayoa Miyazaki returns with a breath-taking examination of a young boy’s life and his quest to move on from the tragic death of his mother. The Boy and the Heron tells the story of Mahito Maki and the new life he must come to terms with after his father remarries and moves the family out of Tokyo and into the Japanese countryside.

Miyazaki uses the Heron as a guide for Mahito, taking the viewer on a journey through the colourful and vibrant world.

Much like Spirited Away, Miyazaki transports us to a magical world where Mahito is fooledby the Heron after he believes he has found his mother still alive. The Heron under orders from the Great Uncle, a wizard who controls the magical world. The visually stunning world sees Mahito encounter Himi, a girl from the magical world, in a quest to find his lost step-mother and bring her back to the real world.

Throughout Japanese arts and culture, herons are viewed as divine creatures, who can travel the three elements of earth, air and water. Miyazaki uses the Heron as a guide for Mahito, taking the viewer on a journey through the colourful and vibrant world. Miyazaki’s obsession with winged creatures is a striking feature of this film: the Heron as an unlikely protagonist; the parakeets, whose insatiable appetite for Mahito and Himi hinders their progress in the world; and the pelicans, who claim to be trapped in this world with no means of survival.

Miyazaki deals with themes such as loss and grief, guiding us through Mahito’s journey to understand his mother’s death. Some of the film’s cultural elements may be lost on viewers but its coming-of-age elements are apparent and will resonate with those who dealt with loss and anguish in their early lives. 

While some viewers will clamber for lighthearted tales such as My Neighbour Totoro, The Boy and the Heron is likely to strike a chord with some of Studio Ghibli’s more complex films such as Spirited Away and Princess Mononoke, dealing with darker themes of morality and familial relationships.

Whether enjoyed in its original Japanese language or by a star-studded cast of English speaking voice actors, featuring the likes of Robert Pattinson and Christian Bale, The Boy and the Heron is an empathic return for Miyazaki, garnering him his fourth Oscar nomination for Best Animated Feature.

4/5