Dinosaurs were a near-universal passion of our childhoods, with a great many young people being fascinated by them and their history. If you’ve got to university and this passion hasn’t subsided yet, London’s world-famous Natural History Museum may be a bit of a trek, but Sheffield has something that may whet your appetite.

Yorkshire Natural History Museum is a small collection focusing on palaeontology, fossils and the prehistoric environment in Yorkshire. With a range of fossils, casts, gemstones, minerals and bones, the museum is also an active research centre, with many of the items in the collection found by previous and current staff members and volunteers.

Museum Chairman James Hogg. Image Credit: The Star

This museum is very small, and unassuming from the outside, but the collection within is very interesting, much more so than I had imagined going in. The range of items on display was much wider than I would have thought, especially given its size, and the staff understand not only the items on display, but how items came to be formed. The museum definitely has something for everyone, with items displayed on different levels, drawing equipment and seating, as well as items that can entertain small children (besides the artefacts themselves!). The most striking item in the museum is ‘Pink Amethyst Slice’, a huge gemstone section measuring approximately one metre in length that stands upright in one of the corners. Its intricate detailing isn’t hidden behind glass or a protective screen, meaning you can get very close to this item to fully appreciate its magnificence.

Yorkshire Natural History Museum is a great little museum to fascinate anyone interested in dinosaurs, prehistoric times and the geological history of Yorkshire. Located on the Blue Route tram line, it’s a simple museum to get to, but be prepared for the stairs!

Rating: ★★★☆☆

Yorkshire Natural History Museum opened in 2022 and is located on Holme Lane in Hillsborough, Sheffield

‘Pink Amethyst Slice’. Image Credit: Sophie Layton