With spring upon us, it’s time for new beginnings and starting afresh. And everyone knows that the first thing that comes to mind when starting anew is…netball? A new team is forming from all corners of Dronfield, and look set to reach the heights of stardom.

Bouncing Back tells the story of an amateur netball team made up of an assortment of players, in terms of age, ability, personal circumstances & more. Under the guidance of coach Trish, the group face their challenges to become the competitive ‘Trish’s Terriers’, and bond in ways unexpected by anyone, particularly the team itself.

What a show this was! If you’re a fan of classic underdog stories, this is a perfect play for you. Imagine Dear England but with local netball instead of national football and you have a fairly good idea of what this show is (although lets not forget Bouncing Back was written first!). The storyline is fairly predictable, but not in a way that leaves you bored or annoyed that you know what’s going to happen; if you’re like me you’re too busy enjoying it! The use of projection for scenery, whilst coming across jarring at first it must be said, actually ended up working well, especially when two scenes were occurring concurrently at either side of the stage. There were a few technical mishaps, a few cues gone too early or late here and there, but it didn’t detract too much from what was happening on stage, and the cast were able to deal with this easily. It was also exceptionally funny! I did not expect to laugh as much as I did but I left unable to stop smiling!

From left to right – Charlie Rivers as Anna, Mandy Sims as Trish & Gayle Hazelby as Micky. Image Credit: Dronfield Players

The cast were fantastic, but Charlie Rivers particularly stood out as team captain Anna. Her bubbly, vibrant personality was clear throughout the performance, her stage presence unrivalled and even small details, especially when background acting, were on point. You also felt a real connection to Anna by the end, uniting the team, and the entire audience, behind the Terriers. And speaking of her Terriers, Mandy Sims as coach Trish was a great lead. You can sense a real understanding and bond she has with her character. Trish is a motherly figure in the show and she really gives the empathic performance to match it. She’s the P.E. teacher the non-sporty kids would have wanted in school! Finally, an honourable mention must be given to Gayle Hazelby as Micky who had me giggling whenever she spoke onstage!

Bouncing Back is the first show I’ve seen by the Dronfield Players, and what a way to kick it off! The cast have brought this piece to life as if it’s a real story rather than a dramatic performance and brilliantly so! With a few minor adjustments & tidying up some of the technical elements, this show would be simply show-stopping in the world of amateur dramatics.

Rating: ★★★★☆

Dronfield Players’ Bouncing Back is running until March 23rd at the Dronfield Civic Centre. Get your tickets here

Image Credit: Dronfield Players