Original writing, for me, is always the most exciting thing about theatre, especially when such stories are told by local groups in small, intimate venues. It’s no wonder then that I simply couldn’t resist trekking to the Lantern Theatre for a showcase unlike any that I’ve ever seen before.

The Shorts saw a range of original short scenes, each with only a few characters, minimal set and a lot of imagination! From Shakespeare’s woes writing a play, to the invention of the plastic bottle and two cows looking to escape a slaughterhouse fate, The Shorts was a mix of scenes from across genres, themes and even realities, showcasing the writing and playing talent of the company.

I’ll be honest, I didn’t go into this expecting too much. Shorts, scene showcases, and other such performances always struggle to keep me entertained, because with no overarching story, it’s difficult for me to be engaged throughout. But oh my, was that not a problem here! I really enjoyed this production! Apart from one sketch or two, I was pushed to find my favourites because I enjoyed almost all of them! There were hilarious moments in these scenes, deep emotions and a range and depth of writing that I would never have expected. The concepts for the majority of stories were simple yet perfectly executed and the minimal set and props kept you focused on the cast and the stories they had to tell. With all of the scenes being new and original writing as well, I am simply stunned by how much this company were able to do, and so well!

Image Credit: Wendy Turner

Besides a few of the sketches not being for me, my main criticism comes from the lack of publicity their cast members have! They’re not listed anywhere! So you’ll just have to out up with me describing them and the sketches they’re in! Three performers particularly stood out to me, the first being the performer playing the Macy’s gift-wrapper in sketch three. Her elegance, stage presence and captivating mannerisms gave her character, at times, even more mystery than the crime boss in front of her! A brilliant character, executed to perfection. Next, the optimistic cow in the slaughterhouse sketch had me in stitches, with me hooked on every line, movement and even facial expression. When I say you had to be there, I mean it. That scene is one of the funniest comedic sketches I have ever experienced, and the actress playing the optimistic cow did an amazing job of her role. Finally, the daughter in the final sketch gave such a dramatic performance that envisioned perfectly what we as an audience were all thinking. Her larger-than-life character and emotion was unmatched, and a joy to watch.

The Shorts is a joyful and hilarious celebration of small independent theatre, new writing and local productions telling big stories. A fantastic cast led this production to be a unique showcase of their writing and acting abilities, and I encourage everyone to go and support this show before it closes later this week.

Rating: ★★★★☆

The Shorts is running until April 27th at the Lantern Theatre. Tickets are available here

Image Credit: Wendy Turner