A local art festival is set to highlight the work and skill of creatives across Sheffield and the nearby areas this bank holiday weekend. Open Up, which also runs on the following weekend, invites members of the public into the studios of independent artists to hear about their work, as well as giving the opportunity for its purchase to help showcase and support talented creatives across the city.

Artist & Open Up Committee Chair Andy van Vliet. Image Credit: Open Up

Running for over 25 years, the Open Up festival celebrates “Sheffield’s cultural vibrancy” and promotes collaboration between artists, as well as the general public who are invited in. Open Up highlights how “at its heart, Sheffield is a city of makers and is famed for having one of the highest concentrations of studios outside of London”, and allows people to celebrate work that they may not be aware is being made in their own neighbourhoods.

The studios, which are free to visit, include a range of artforms such as ceramics, metalwork, textiles and many more and are located throughout the city centre, as well as in areas such as Walkley, Heeley, Kelham Island and Fulwood. Brought together by the festival committee, chaired by Andy van Vliet, the annual event’s return coincides with both the bank holiday weekend ahead of us, and the following weekend, giving people a chance to visit a range of the artists featured in this year’s event.

Small and independent artists not only create fantastic work, but are a way of connecting with the local community around you, whilst also getting to experience unique art pieces. With small businesses and independent enterprises popular among the student community, the Open Up festival will allow students to explore areas of the city they may not always find themselves in, and might leave you coming home with a special item or two!

Open Up runs from May 4th to May 6th, as well as May 11th and 12th, from 11am to 5pm. More information and a full list of exhibitors is available here

Image Credit: Open Up