University baseball club to hold charity match against Goodwin staff

University of Sheffield’s baseball club will face off against staff from Sport & Physical Activity in their first ever charity match. 

The team, affectionately known as the Hornets, are raising money for Cancer Research UK ahead of the game on 5 May. 

So far, they have raised an impressive £455, beating their initial target. 

The club’s student members have been training staff in the art of baseball ahead of the match. 

The Hornets’ publicity officer Zain Durrani said: “I’m really excited for the charity match because not only is it going to introduce a lot of students and residents across Sheffield to the sport of baseball, but also as we’re doing it for a great cause. We’re doing it for Cancer Research UK, which we’ve already raised a lot of money for. 

“Everyone from the University of Sheffield Sport and Physical Activity has been very open and helpful, especially Ben Green and his team. They’ve been working well with us and it’s all been going really brilliantly. Honestly, I think we’re just glad to help out in any way we can. 

“I think baseball in the university is a relatively small club; we don’t have as many members as other teams do. So I think just being able to help out with such an important cause is always really nice, really good. You know what, it’s going to be a fun game too – we’ve been training the staff, so it’ll be a test of how good we are both as teachers and as players. If they beat us, a win’s a win anyway because that would show we’re great teachers. If we beat them, we’re great players.” 

The game will take place on Godfrey Field at Goodwin Sports Centre at 1pm, and is free for students to attend.

Click here to donate to the Hornets’ fundraiser.  

Featured Image Credit: @uoshornets via Instagram

Festival of Debate Review: Human Flourishing – A Conceptual Analysis

You may have been told you or your skills are ‘flourishing’ by a lecturer, friend, teacher or even family member since being at university....

Hold tight before you swipe right: The casual hookup culture at University is out of hand.

TW: Mention of sexual assault. Casual sex at university in the UK is a huge cultural rite of passage...

The short, dark days are over and as the summer sun creeps into Sheffield, I thought it was about time we talked about all...