The University of Sheffield is among a number of groups, including Sheffield City Council and Heart Radio, coming together to facilitate the annual Weston Park May Fayre. Taking place on May 19th in the park adjoining the Firth Court building, the event will feature a range of events, stalls and exhibitions, supported by The Children’s Hospital Charity, based in the Sheffield Children’s Hospital near to the park.

The free family event, which welcomed 10,000 visitors last year, features a range of performances and activities, including street entertainers, art stations, artisan crafts and special collections, including from the Special Collections, Heritage and Archives team of the University of Sheffield libraries. The event will also see performances from Elton Wrong, the Mutha Truckers, and Val and Halla, each with their own light-hearted take on classic culture.

Director of Parks, Leisure and Libraries at Sheffield City Council Lisa Firth. Image Credit: The Star

Lisa Firth, Sheffield City Council’s Director of Parks, Leisure and Libraries, has said that: “As part of Sheffield’s summer festival season, the city hosts the May Fayre in partnership with the University of Sheffield.  The yearly event takes place in Weston Park and residents of Sheffield and the surrounding area are invited to come together for a day of funfair rides, food and drink, performances and family-friendly entertainment.”

The event aims to not only provide an exciting and family-friendly experience for guests of all ages, but also to “cultivate a richer cultural landscape here in Sheffield and South Yorkshire” and reach groups that often go underrepresented in the creative industries.

This year’s Weston Park May Fayre will welcome more performers than at any time in its history, and this is hoped to translate into record footfall for the event and the stallholders and exhibitors present. Regardless, the fayre is looking to be another exciting instalment in its highly successful history, with this year’s event hoping to draw high numbers of people from the community, as well as students, into its programmes.

The Weston Park May Fayre will be held on May 19th from 11am to 5pm in Weston Park. More information can be found here

Image Credit: Ian Spooner