Handsworth & Hallam Theatre Company (HHTC) have returned to Sheffield’s stages once more. But the pantomime dame is no where to be seen! Trying out something a little different, the company have welcomed audiences to Soho, with a unique production to usual ready to take Sheffield by storm.

Soho Cinders follows Robbie, a sweet young man who contends with his step-sisters’ wrath with his friend Velcro. But he has a secret. He’s seeing London’s latest mayoral candidate James Prince, in what would be a campaign-ending extra-marital gay love affair for the spritely politician. But he’s not the only one. As Robbie finds himself invited to a party that Prince is sure to be at by seedy acquaintance Lord Bellingham, Robbie’s affairs are rapidly to be put in order, with the fallout leaving no one safe.

I’ll be honest, I’ve never heard of Soho Cinders before, and the show marks a distinct shift from HHTC’s normal productions (their annual Easter pantomime was unable to go ahead due to construction work at The Montgomery Theatre). It was said that the company wanted to try something new, being in a new venue. Having seen the show, I hope that the something new continues. This was a fantastic production to watch, and I came away feeling very entertained by the musical.

Image Credit: HHTC’s Soho Cinders

The story is funny, ingenious and incredibly queer (as all good things are!). The way in which switches between side-splitting comedy and deeply emotional scenes are managed is simply masterful. Although the sound was occasionally lost to the band or microphones not quite turned on in time, this didn’t take away from the production, and the rest of the technical elements more than made up for it.

Costumes were fantastic (particularly for Dana and Clodagh) and really added a new dimension to the scene, the use of lighting both on actors and in the background was very artfully done, and the large set piece with smaller items and props were used in a way that took the scene to new levels but didn’t distract from the performers. A very good showing all round from the technical teams!

And a fantastic backstage team were matched by an exceptional cast. All of the principal performers gave amazing performances, but Alice Mackenzie as Velcro stood out. Her renditions of musical numbers were beautiful, her use of character was clearly well-understood and she was a comedic powerhouse on stage that always got you smiling, if not crying with laughter! Keeley Kirby as Marilyn Platt, the wife of James Prince, didn’t get too much of a showing in the first act but in the second she stole the stage every minute she was on.

From left to right ~ Alice Mackenzie as Velcro, Keeley Kirby as Marilyn Platt & Joseph Walker as William George. Image Credit: HHTC’s Soho Cinders

You felt your eyes being drawn to her in anticipation of what she’d do next, and didn’t disappoint once. A special mention also to Joseph Walker playing campaign manager William George. Never have I so fundamentally detested a character so quickly than in Walker’s first minute of his first scene. I don’t know how he did it, but I found myself seething every time William George walked on, and I love it. His portrayal of his character is so visceral, you can’t help but hate him!

Soho Cinders is a very unusual reimagining of Cinderella but works so well. Every element of this production complemented every other magically and was a great piece of theatre. Whilst I’m excited to see the HHTC pantomime return, I think the company should seriously consider maintaining a musical slot in their yearly programme, as they clearly know what they’re doing!

Rating: ★★★★☆

HHTC’s Soho Cinders is running until May 25th at the University of Sheffield Drama Studio. Tickets are available here

Image Credit: HHTC’s Soho Cinders