Prime Minister announces date for 2024 General Election

Prime Minister Rishi Sunak has announced the date for the 2024 General Election, ending months of speculation.

Britain will head to the polls on 4 July, to elect all 650 Members of Parliament.

Speaking on the steps of Downing Street, Rishi Sunak said: “Now is the moment for Britain to choose its future.”

The Prime Minister said that he had visited His Majesty King Charles III earlier today to request a dissolution of Parliament, and that this had been granted.

It will be the first UK election to take place in July since 1945.

Following a string of by-election victories and defections to the Labour party, the Conservatives now have 344 MPs, down 21 from the number elected at the last general election in December 2019. Labour have 205 MPs, three more than were elected in 2019.

Opinion polls suggest Labour are on course for a landslide victory and are on course to deny the Conservatives a record-breaking fifth consecutive term in office.

Credit: Wikimedia Commons

Poll cards will be issued and sent out in due course, which will have the information about where polling stations are and their opening hours.

Candidate selections for most seats in Sheffield from the major parties had already been completed prior to this announcement, although a few still need to be made. A final official list will be released around 4 weeks before polling day.

Labour currently hold four of the five parliamentary constituencies in Sheffield, with the Conservative Miriam Cates holding the fifth seat of Penistone and Stocksbridge.

The Liberal Democrats previously held the seat of Sheffield Hallam before 2017, and were represented there by former Deputy Prime Minister Nick Clegg.

Credit for Featured Image: Prime Minister’s Office

Sheffield Wednesday shock league-leaders West Brom in five-goal thriller

Goals from Marvin Johnson, Josh Windass and Anthony Musaba clinched Sheffield Wednesday ’s first league win since the opening day against the league leaders West Bromwich Albion.

🔴 Sheffield Wednesday vs West Brom: LIVE updates from the EFL Championship

Follow along with live updates from Hillsborough as Sheffield Wednesday host West Bromwich Albion in the EFL Championship.

University of Sheffield researchers make ground-breaking prostate cancer advancement

Researchers from the University of Sheffield are the first to discover a new form of immunotherapy for prostate cancer.

In Memoriam: Dame Maggie Smith

As the world mourns the passing of the legendary actress, we look back at her illustrious stage career

Sheffield Theatres Review: Dizzy

"Reading the Quran to the tune of Bob the Builder" & other comedic quips mark the latest production from Sheffield Theatres teams!

Sheffield Theatres Review: A Doll’s House

Ibsen's classic is a pleasant surprise, with Siena Kelly a standout performance in a standout show

Science and tech societies to dive into this academic year

With another fresher’s week comes plenty of opportunity to dive into societies and try something new. There are a wide variety of societies for...