If you’re a neurodivergent person reading this, you’ll know that accurate, relatable representation, though on the rise, is still few and far between amongst the overwhelming majority of media, based on stereotypes and outdated diagnostic criteria. As a lover of the written word and recently diagnosed AuDHD-er, stumbling upon Kaleidoscopic minds during my last visit to Juno Books therefore felt like I’d hit the jackpot.

Kaleidoscopic minds is a short but sweet collection of poetry written by neurodivergent women for neurodivergent women! Published independently last year by Catherine Bell and Stephanie Farrell Moore, it contains a series of poems which altogether portray a wide range of experiences under the neurodiverse umbrella with both rawness and nuance. However, its incredible, authentic representation of neurodiversity cannot be discussed without recognising the absolute art that lives within the pages of this anthology, making it a reading experience I believe anyone could enjoy regardless of whether the neurodiverse label applies to you or not.

From left to right ~ Publishers Catherine Bell & Stephanie Farrell Moore & Poet Vera Zakharov. Image Credit: Catherine Bell, Stephanie Farrell Moore & Vera Zakharov

Without even opening the pages, you are already greeted with the expressive pen-strokes of Alisa Turner-Gibb’s cover art, a handful of orange slices which, at the end of the anthology, she shares is a reflection of the unity shared by the human race in our uniqueness. While each slice shares the same colour palette and belongs to the same fruit as one another, underneath the surface is bursting with individual flavours and patterns, much like how despite sharing the same core as a species we are actually all overflowing with our own thoughts and experiences.

And similarly, peeling away the covers of this anthology will reveal pages that are bursting with the rich, raw and colourful experiences of the many poets contributing to this collection. From poems that strip the neurodiverse mind bare and lay it down transparent onto the page, to those which are wrapped in rich imagery and must be unravelled to reveal the rawness within. While each poem is a unique portrayal of the writers’ lives, in a wide range of styles and depicting a wide range of experiences, they all share the same unfiltered and honest core.

Image Credit: Catherine Bell and Stephanie Farrell Moore

For example within the same few pages we have Heather Mackehnie’s gut-wrenching prose detailing the lack of acceptance within her relationship, immediately followed by ‘How to make a cup of tea: a flow chart for distracted mums’, in which Vera Zakharov takes your eyes and brain on a somewhat chaotic journey across the page in an attempt to capture both visually and in writing some of the poet’s everyday struggles. There are explorations of motherhood, queerness, special interests and many other themes, depicted in a range of writing styles from short and simple to the more intricate or abstract, making it an anthology I genuinely believe could be enjoyed by any reader no matter your literary taste or experience.

I personally found something to relate to in almost every single one and couldn’t put my pencil down for underlining pieces that I wanted to come back to later. Not only was it an enlightening and rewarding read, but it is impossible to feel guilty about spending my student loan on yet another book when all proceeds from the sales of Kaleidoscopic minds are being donated to the charity Autistic Girls Network! This was easily a five star read and one I will probably never stop thinking or talking about.

Rating: ★★★★★

Kaleidoscopic minds (ISBN: 9781399967402) was published in 2023

Image Credit: Etsy