How do you identify a witch? Pointy hat, broomstick, black cat? Or maybe a candle floating above their head? But when this light goes out, how can one save a witch before she is lost forever?

Witchlight is a comic tale of a young girl who meets a witch, and the two end up embarking on a journey to find the missing portion of Lelek’s soul, which was taken from her when she was young. As they journey across the land learning combat and battling other witches, the two grow close with one another, with the prejudice of those around them set to be the truest test of their relationship.

Author Jessi Zabarsky. Image Credit: Penguin Random House

I can’t say I’m a particularly fond enjoyer of comic books, as I often find myself speeding through them very quickly. And whilst that was true of this one as well, the story it told was quite a sweet one. I enjoyed the art style used throughout the book and the relationship between the two girls not being used as the central plot point was refreshing. I did find myself speeding through this book very quickly because of its comic style (200 pages covered in around half an hour is much faster than I like to enjoy books) which may have detracted from my experience of enjoying it, and there were several points where I feel some panels were superfluous to the overall story.

Whilst comic books aren’t my sort of style, I do enjoy the occasional one and this one is a great example of a good story that’s just not for me. The tale itself is beautiful and emotional, and I’m confident that if you do enjoy comic books, this one will definitely be worth your time.

Rating: ★★★☆☆

Witchlight (ISBN: 978-0-593-11999-0) was published in 2015. A copy is available to borrow from the LGBTQ+ Lending Library in the LGBTQ+ Lounge

Image Credit: Amazon UK