The date for the General Election has been confirmed. This political event is significant not only for governance but also for the Arts, which matter deeply because they enable us to illustrate all aspects of the human experience in unique ways. Ultimately, the Arts matter because we, as people, matter. Through them, we can express our thoughts, stories, and emotions. Unfortunately, the Arts are often forgotten and left behind in policy priority and national debate, despite their deep-rooted importance in society. Therefore, in anticipation of the General Election, here are five things I would like to see in the upcoming manifestos. 

Firstly, political parties need to recognise the intrinsic value of the Arts in society, not just their economic contributions and benefits, so that they can make policies and lead campaigns that reflect the Arts’ positive aspects and why they play such a key role in society. For example, the Arts play a crucial role in fostering creativity and enabling people to think both imaginatively and innovatively. They also enhance critical thinking by offering new perspectives and encouraging thoughtful analysis and the creation of new interpretations of the world around us.

Furthermore, the Arts are vital for the UK’s cultural enrichment; they provide us with a means to explore, understand, and appreciate the diverse narratives and histories that make up our multicultural society. By preserving and promoting our cultural heritage, the Arts ensure that traditions and stories are passed on through generations, enriching our collective identity and social landscape. Ultimately, the Arts are indispensable for their ability to elevate the human experience, cultivating a society which values depth, empathy, and understanding. 

Image Credit: VisitBritain

Secondly, the parties should promote diversity, inclusion, and accessible participation in the Arts, such as advocating for policies that promote cultural diversity both on and off stage. Representation and the amplification of marginalised voices in the Arts are crucial, as they develop a sense of authenticity in the artistic community and help minority audiences identify with people like them, seeing their lived experience in artistic productions.

Also, it is crucial to address the need for initiatives that support underrepresented groups in accessing opportunities within the arts, such as creating partnerships with cultural organisations, providing grant opportunities to underrepresented groups, and developing community outreach programmes, designed to encourage minority groups to get involved with the Arts. We must call on these parties to introduce measures to improve access to cultural experiences for all members of society, regardless of their background or ability.

Public funding plays a key role in ensuring all activities within the Arts are affordable and inclusive, making sure they are accessible to a wider audience. Community engagement and grassroots initiatives are vital to promoting cultural participation by fostering a sense of ownership and inclusivity within local communities. If political parties can address these areas, they can create a more vibrant cultural landscape for everyone. 

Image Credit: Arts Professional

In their manifestos, political parties should also show more support for independent and grassroots Arts organisations, such as advocating for policies that protect independent music venues. This support is essential for a vibrant and diverse Arts community, as it helps to preserve cultural diversity and foster new interest in the Arts. Smaller organisations often face more severe challenges, like limited funding, resources, and visibility, which in turn can threaten their sustainability and impact. Targeted support, including grants, membership and infrastructure development, is key to ensuring their viability and growth. By bolstering independent and grassroots Arts organisations, we can enrich the UK’s cultural landscape, encouraging voices and creative expressions from people of all backgrounds to flourish. 

Furthermore, investment in arts education is crucial to fostering well-rounded individuals and nurturing talent in the Arts from a young age. Political parties should use their manifestos to advocate for increased funding and support for arts education in schools, as it can provide students with the skills and habits they need for both personal and professional growth, and it can offer young people an outlet for them to express their thoughts, feelings, and ideas through artistic expression. These benefits of arts education go beyond the classroom: promoting critical thinking, problem-solving, and emotional intelligence.

Image Credit: Live For Live Music

It is also necessary for these parties to address the inequality of access to arts education, primarily affecting underprivileged communities where resources and opportunities are limited. Ensuring that all students, regardless of their socioeconomic or cultural background, have access to high-standard arts education can help bridge certain gaps in achievement, and cultivate a more inclusive and diverse cultural environment in the process.

Lastly, I would like to see more initiatives that recognise the role of the Arts in promoting health and well-being. Engaging with music, dance, or visual arts can be therapeutic, reducing stress and fostering social connection. This has the potential to be transformative in healthcare settings, offering a new avenue for well-being. It also opens the door to the potential of arts-based interventions in healthcare settings, promoting better health outcomes while reducing overall healthcare burdens. These interventions can still be cost-effective, and they can help reduce healthcare inequalities by offering a unique and accessible approach to well-being suited for diverse populations.

Image Credit: Bridport Prize

This could be especially significant in tackling healthcare inequalities, ensuring everyone has access to these valuable tools for a healthier life. By promoting arts access, we can tackle healthcare inequalities and ensure everyone has the chance to experience the positive impact of creative expression. Therefore, political parties should acknowledge the potential of utilising the Arts for bettering health and well-being, especially in the mental-health crisis the UK is suffering with today. 

Ultimately, the biggest thing I would like to see in upcoming political manifestos is that the parties don’t just forget about or ignore the Arts in general, but actively recognize the Arts as a vital force for social good, fostering not only individual well-being but also community engagement and a richer national identity.

The 2024 U.K. General Election will take place on July 4th

Image Credit: The Guardian