Margaret Thatcher is one of the most famous (or infamous, depending on your views) Prime Ministers in history. Her policies and manner in office were at the very least divisive, and many communities are still deeply divided over her tenure. But in certain communities, this attitude is a lot more defined, and as we get further from her time in office, people often look back to the 1979-1990 period and consider what she was truly like.

Thatcher-rite was a play in which the audience are invited over to tea at Maggie’s, with biscuits and sandwiches (almost) all-round. As we look over this happy little get together, the narrative shifts to ask what she actually did, was she any good as Prime Minister and what would the world have been like if she had never been Prime Minister. Drawing on the thoughts of audience members and her own words, we are forced to question what the realities of Thatcherism were, are and may be.

The show was broken down largely into three chunks, and we need to deal with each separately but just a unifying thought across all three: this show was bizarre. We have this strange situation where ‘Maggie’ is interacting with audience members of today who were selected by names on a screen (which let me tell you was one of the most anxiety-inducing things I’ve ever been a part of – probability said it wouldn’t be me but the rest of my brain clearly didn’t get the memo!), and lip syncing along to words and conversations Thatcher actually had. This was mixed with some okay slapstick humour with sandwiches and someone not getting one. We spent a little bit too long on this bit I feel.

Image Credit: artsdepot

Then we start to get to the casual questioning section. A question appears on the back curtain that audience member(s) are asked about. Some are discussed, others nodded through pretty sharpish. There were a few moments that went really well here and the non-participating audience had time to consider, and others that just went by like a flash, which would be fine if we weren’t given the premise that we were to consider what Thatcher was like – a question cannot be answered if we’re not asked it!

Writer & Actor Jack Boal. Image Credit: Young Vic Creators Program

Our final bit was very forward-thinking in terms of what the future may hold and where we go from here, which is very timely given the current general election. One point asked who we could trust to be in charge, to which one of the audience participants said Zarah Sultana. A fair point, let’s discuss…except no one else at the table, or as far as I’m aware Thatcher’s actor, knew who she was, which sort of sunk that ship pretty quickly. The only other name to be suggested was Penny Mordaunt, but given this followed Friday’s election debate we can only assume that was a situational interjection (but we did then get a hair joke).

I really struggled with this show, it has to be said. I think Jack Boal did a fun job portraying Thatcher, and the comedic aspects of his interaction with audience members was enjoyable. The main issue this production has is that I’m not convinced it knows what it wants to be. It could be a farcical comedy, but this is never leaned into. It could be a piece designed to make us discuss as an audience Thatcher and her legacy, but time isn’t given to this and I’m not sure the production or audience participants would be prepared for this to happen. It could be a show designed to spotlight some of Thatcher’s positives and shortcomings, but this isn’t what it gives across.

Boal as a performer is charming, and the premise for this show could be fantastic. But sadly, it doesn’t seem to have a direction or aim it wants us as audience members to walk away with. I’d absolutely love to see this show reworked and return in a new form when it’s clearer what it wants us as viewers to take away from it, and would absolutely return for a second run if this was done, but in its current form, this lady’s not for turning

Rating: ★★☆☆☆

Thatcher-rite was performed in the Tanya Moiseiwitsch Playhouse on June 8th, in the final performance of its tour

Image Credit: The Reviews Hub