The University of Sheffield Light Entertainment Society (USLES) have opened submissions for scripts ahead of their summer and semester 1 shows. The society, which played two shows this year, most recently Martha Allison’s original Chosen Ones, have also revealed show dates for the two productions ahead of their runs.

In a post on social media, the performance society said: “We are opening our script submissions for both the summer and all semester shows! The deadline for summer script submission is the 10th of July, and the deadline for the fall semester is the 13th of September. Please send in your scripts to [email protected]

USLES’ summer show will be performed on September 28th and 30th in the Raynor Lounge in Bar One. This slot has a 75 minute (40-45 page) maximum runtime and will be looking for approximately 12 performance roles. The semester 1 show will see the society return to the Raynor Lounge for a 150 minute (60-100 page) maximum runtime, with 20 roles and full technical capacity available. The group have also emphasised that unfinished scripts can be accepted, and that applicants can submit scripts for both slots, rather than just one.

If an individual’s script is accepted, they are able to choose whether they wish to direct or request another director for their show, but are given first choice in the matter. Script deadlines are July 10th and September 13th, respectively, allowing members to work on unfinished drafts over the summer break. It is hoped that this latest script call will attract both new and returning writers, in an effort to bring in new freshers to join the USLES family.

Just one month after their most recent show, USLES have joined both SUTCo and SUPAS in unveiling their plans for the first semester of the 2024/25 academic year. As we all prepare for a summer away from university life, the USLES team are already preparing for their latest comedic ventures, and looking to their communities to write them.

Script submissions for the next two USLES shows are open until July 10th and September 13th for summer and semester 1 shows, respectively. More information is available on the USLES Instagram page (@usles_)

Image Credit: USLES