This Thursday, Plaid Cymru released their manifesto, outlining their plans and policies in advance of the upcoming General Election. As the party only stands in Wales, their manifesto focuses on issues that particularly affect the Welsh population. Whilst they have policies surrounding healthcare, taxes and the environment like the rest of the parties, Plaid Cymru has also outlined several policies that affect that Arts & Theatre sector.

The Policies

One of Plaid Cymru’s key beliefs is that the arts should be available and accessible for everyone. They are committed to their policy of “free entry to our national museums” and they have said that they will also work with other organisations “to ensure free tickets are available for low income families.” Moreover, they recognise the positive effects that participating in sports, arts and culture has on individual and community well-being so they will look to use cross-governmental funding to “promote participation and engagement”. 

Plaid Cymru is also keen to “support the better promotion of Welsh culture and heritage” and they believe that Wales should have “high quality cultural organisations” so that they can celebrate their culture and heritage, and “reflect the realities of life in Wales.” They believe that broadcasting powers should be devolved to Wales and support the “establishment of an independent Broadcasting Authority for Wales” which would give the country more control over its broadcasting.

Image Credit: Visit Wales

Moreover, they are keen to continue to promote Welsh culture internationally. Despite not being part of the EU, Plaid Cymru are going to look at how Wales can participate in and benefit from the international Creative Europe programme that “aims to safeguard, develop and promote European cultural and linguistic diversity and heritage, and to increase the economic potential of the cultural and creative sectors.” Plaid Cymru also wants to promote Wales internationally by continuing to push for the country to be represented on the international stage at Eurovision. 

Plaid Cymru is also looking to support its creative sector financially by instigating a Welsh Freelancers Fund. This measure is inspired by the Republic of Ireland’s Basic Income for the Arts scheme, and the party says that they will apply the lessons learned there to their scheme in Wales. Another key belief that Plaid Cymru holds is that Welsh artifacts such the Mold Gold Cape, the Moel Hebog Shield and the portrait of John Ystumllyn “should be returned to Wales and used in a way which benefits the nation from which they origin, rather than be held elsewhere”.

Overall, Plaid Cymru have pledged to promote an increase in “Welsh medium arts provision and activity” and support the “development of career pathways in the arts in the Welsh language.”

The Plaid Cymru General Election manifesto was released on June 13th and can be accessed here. The 2024 U.K. General Election will take place on July 4th

Image Credit: Plaid Cymru