Cabaret and the queer community go hand-in-hand, but a cabaret for the queer community is the best of both worlds. If your thinking even somewhat resembles mine, then you may be due a visit to the French nightlife, and a stay at Le Monocle.

The Monocle transports audiences to 1930s Paris, and the notorious cabaret club Le Monocle. This dance performance showcases what the cabaret club was most infamous for – being a secluded retreat for the city’s lesbians to drink, mingle and dance the night away surrounded by their fellow woman. Featuring a mix of contemporary, jazz and more, this show is a window into the past and the steamy backrooms of the city of love.

Slightly seedy, mysterious location? Check. Cabaret? Check. Queer representation? Also check. On paper, this production is made for girls like me, and in person it certainly delivers on that. From the moment you walk in, you’re greeted with small tables, lights strung up wherever you look and an unusual vibe as you gaze at what looks like an abandoned funfair. But when the lights go down (or up!) you’re whisked to what can only be described as a magical cabaret and dance experience. The choreography throughout was breathtaking and ingeniously put together, I found myself enthralled on multiple occasions at just how smooth every element was.

Image Credit: Northern Dance

There was a somewhat loose storyline to the piece, which I was mostly able to follow but there are points where the intention is unclear. There are several times within the show that black-clad faceless figures appear and seem to terrorise our main cast. I have several hunches as to what their intention may have been, but I felt confused at times regarding these. I enjoyed their inclusion and their nameless nature, I just wasn’t certain what their significance was meant to be.

The set pieces used are elegant, from coloured panelling on the bar, to a near-circular archway complete with red curtains and drives this setting to the forefront of your mind. I missed the first entrance by a cast member as I was simply in awe at how the three set pieces created such a coherent and beautiful dynamic to the space. And sticking with beauty, the use of lighting was simply masterful.

With multicoloured bulbs hung throughout the playing space but also above sections of the audience, it was a bold choice that works so effectively. At one point, each of the bulbs lights up in sequence, and you find yourself following this pulse around the theatre as if following a sprite. Genius. The sound design was largely positive, but the use of static near the start carried on for a little too long, which was distracting near the opening number. The costuming was largely good, and I particularly liked the outfit worn by Alyssa Lisle’s character, with a sparkling pink skirt reflecting many of the lighting fixtures throughout the space.

Singer Imogen Banks & BSL Interpreter Caroline Ryan. Image Credit: Rendez-Vous Dance

The cast of performers here really outdid themselves and each should be incredibly proud of the production they put together, but by standout performances were given by Imogen Banks as the Singer and Caroline Ryan as the BSL interpreter. The double act took my breath away whenever they performed. Banks’ voice is so powerful, and being in such an intimate space gave it such a presence within the theatre, I was astounded. I wish there was a cast recording simply to listen to Banks’ renditions on loop.

Ryan was excellent throughout, providing sign language interpretation over all spoken lines and songs, but I also appreciated how well she was integrated into the performance in every scene she appeared. Sign language interpreters can often feel attached to the side of a stage for the sake of being able to provide this interpretation, but seeing her sign from the cabaret stage to the bar and everywhere in between is a testament to how well considered this show is.

I was very pleasantly surprised by The Monocle. I can’t say I’ve ever been to a dance show before but what a great way to mark my first. Beautiful off-stage and on, with everyone giving a fantastic performance, this cabaret is one you definitely don’t want to pass on!

Rating: ★★★★☆

The Monocle was performed at the University of Sheffield Drama Studio on June 15th, & touring the U.K. until June 28th

Image Credit: Seeing Dance