General Election 2024: How to prepare

The Prime Minister has announced Thursday 4 July as the upcoming election date.

That date is coming up fast, so Forge Press have put together a guide of everything you need to know for when it rolls around.

Bring your Photo ID!

A burgundy UK passport
Image via Wikimedia Commons

Voters in England must now bring a form of ID to polling stations in order to vote, as it became statutory on 4 May 2023.

During the Sheffield local elections, 365 of 562 people who were turned away, returned and voted. This resulted in a loss of almost 200 voters, an issue in Sheffield and nationally.

If you forget your ID, you have the chance to return as long as you do this before polling stations close at 10pm on 4 July.

Returning Officer for Sheffield City Council, Kate Josephs, has given some advice. Sheffield City Council has a list of the acceptable forms of ID on the Council website: Photo ID you need to vote.

This includes passports and driving licences. It is important to know, if your ID has expired it can still be accepted as long as the photo looks like you. You must bring the original version.

Kate Josephs shared that if you don’t have an acceptable form of ID, you can apply for a free photo ID, known as a Voter Authority Certificate. You can apply for this via the Government’s Election website: Apply for photo ID Voter Authority Certificate.

You must apply by 5:00pm on Wednesday 26 June.

Sheffield City Council is focused on providing support, tweeting that all Sheffield polling stations are accessible with wheelchair-friendly booths and large print ballot papers:

You can request for your ID to be checked in a private area by a specific staff member. They can answer any questions you have, especially if it is your first time voting.

Registering for postal or proxy votes

A UK postal voting pack: an envelope, and brightly coloured voting slips.
Image via Wikimedia Commons

The deadline for registering to vote in this general election has now passed. If you haven’t registered, you can complete the application before the next election: Register to Vote.

You can vote in person, by post or by proxy.

In person voting means going to your local polling station, which can be found in a letter sent to you near the election time. It has ‘general election’ and ‘do not ignore, poll card enclosed’ on it, making it easily recognisable.

If you lose the letter, you can head to: Where Do I Vote.

If you will be away during the election time, you can vote by post or by proxy.

The deadline for postal vote application has passed, but you would apply through the government website here: Apply For Postal Vote.

Voting by proxy is giving someone else permission to vote on your behalf. The application is found here: Apply For Proxy Vote. This deadline has not passed. If you are away on the 4 July, then you must complete the application by 5:00pm on Wednesday 26 June.

If you have any questions to do with the election, Kate Josephs has explained that voters can contact Sheffield City Council. The Council website has more information about the general election.

Remember to bring your photo ID on Thursday 4 July. Make your vote count for Sheffield’s students.

Featured image credit – Wikimedia Commons 

Sheffield Wednesday shock league-leaders West Brom in five-goal thriller

Goals from Marvin Johnson, Josh Windass and Anthony Musaba clinched Sheffield Wednesday ’s first league win since the opening day against the league leaders West Bromwich Albion.

🔴 Sheffield Wednesday vs West Brom: LIVE updates from the EFL Championship

Follow along with live updates from Hillsborough as Sheffield Wednesday host West Bromwich Albion in the EFL Championship.

University of Sheffield researchers make ground-breaking prostate cancer advancement

Researchers from the University of Sheffield are the first to discover a new form of immunotherapy for prostate cancer.

In Memoriam: Dame Maggie Smith

As the world mourns the passing of the legendary actress, we look back at her illustrious stage career

Sheffield Theatres Review: Dizzy

"Reading the Quran to the tune of Bob the Builder" & other comedic quips mark the latest production from Sheffield Theatres teams!

Sheffield Theatres Review: A Doll’s House

Ibsen's classic is a pleasant surprise, with Siena Kelly a standout performance in a standout show

Science and tech societies to dive into this academic year

With another fresher’s week comes plenty of opportunity to dive into societies and try something new. There are a wide variety of societies for...