EFL Fixture Release: Blades and Owls learn who they will play on the opening day

Football fans across Sheffield have learned this morning all the important dates for the Blades and Owls, as the EFL Championship fixture list has been released.

Sheffield Wednesday and Sheffield United will face off against each other for the first time since the 2018-19 season, with the first Steel City Derby being played since then being played out on Saturday 9 November at Bramall Lane.

The return fixture will take place at Hillsborough on Saturday 15 March.

It’s likely that these games could be moved for TV coverage or due to police advice.

The Blades open their campaign away to Preston North End on Friday 9 August, while their first home game is against QPR on the 17th.

Wednesday begin their season home against Plymouth Argyle on Sunday 11 August, and play their first away game against Sunderland on Saturday 17th.

Boxing Day sees United host Burnley while Wednesday travel to Middlesborough.

For Sheffield sides, a game against Leeds United, last year’s play-off finalists, is always one to look out for, and for the Blades, a trip to Elland Road comes on Saturday 19 October, while the Whites travel to Bramall Lane on Saturday 22 February.

For the Owls, however, it comes much earlier, as Leeds travel to Hillborough on the Saturday 24 August, while fans can take the journey to West Yorkshire on Saturday 18 January.

The final day of the regular season, Saturday 3 May 2025, sees Wednesday face off against Watford at Vicarage Road, while United play Blackburn Rovers at home.

All fixtures are subject to change, with the draw for the First Round of this season’s Carabao Cup also set to take place tomorrow (Thursday 27 June) at 11:30am- United and Wednesday are ball numbers 29 and 30, respectively, in the Northern Section.

United will be looking to emulate Leicester City and Southampton, and return to the top flight at the first attempt, following their disappointing season last time out when they finished bottom with a mere 16 points.

Wednesday will be looking to build on the ‘Great Escape’ that Danny Röhl’s team pulled off last season, surviving on the final day despite a terrible start to the season which saw them with just three points from their opening ten games.

Their hopes have been boosted by the 35-year-old being handed a new three-year contract at the end of last season.

It promises to be an exciting season for both teams.

Featured images used with changes via Wikimedia Commons: Hillsborough and Bramall Lane

Book Review: The Transgender Issue ~ Shon Faye

Transgender people are one of the most popular political debates, with politicians, companies and many other groups all aiming to make their voices heard...

General Election 2024: Former Culture Committee Member embroiled in Betting Scandal

A former member of the Parliamentary Culture, Media & Sport Committee has been accused of placing bets on the outcome of his seat, in...

Find out when Sheffield United and Sheffield Wednesday will face their EFL rivals in the 2024/25 season.

Two Show Day: A How-To Guide

Going to the theatre is, in my opinion, one of the best ways to spend your time. But why spend an afternoon OR and...

Touring Production Review: Jesus Christ Superstar

I’m not sure you get a more classic story than one derived from the Bible, but this is no Sunday School sermon. Andrew Lloyd...

General Election 2024: How to prepare

How to prepare for the upcoming election: voter ID and support on the 4th July.

Book Review: Bored Gay Werewolf ~ Tony Santorella

Queer media often goes for the weird and the wonderful when pitching stories, taking a seemingly random idea and transforming it into something remarkable...