Sheffield Hallam Candidate Spotlights: Isaac Howarth, Conservative Party

The General Election is fast approaching, and Sheffield’s candidates have been busy campaigning for your vote.

With political apathy increasing, understanding who you’re voting for and what they advocate is hugely important. 

Forge Press approached every candidate for the Sheffield Central and Sheffield Hallam constituencies and offered them a chance to speak through their manifestos.

The Conservative Party candidate for the Sheffield Hallam constituency, Isaac Howarth, accepted the request for an interview. 

The Interview: Isaac Howarth

Isaac has lived in Sheffield his whole adult life, he said: “I’ve lived here, I’ve worked here, I’ve studied here and I would absolutely love to represent the constituency in the election.”

His main focus is about bringing a fresh start to the area ‘by championing the protection of our green spaces’ which made him ‘fall in love with the city’. 

He added: “I’ve led volunteering projects and worked for charities here; I’d be delighted to use these skills and relationships as MP for Hallam”.

The Conservative party’s manifesto states they wish to secure young people’s futures. 

When questioned on this, Isaac said: “I have been made aware at university that success is dependent on each student’s idea of what success is

But in terms of what we’re doing to guarantee that, the most conservative way of doing it is to allow young people their right as an individual to pursue what kind of future makes them happy”.

Isaac explained their plans to tackle inflation, cut taxes and stamp duty to ‘make it easier for young people to buy their first homes’. 

University students across Sheffield need to know they have the full support of their MP, so we asked Isaac how his plans and policies will affect students. 

He said: “I think one of the policies that will help students the most is the conservative tough approach on crime.”

Isaac discussed the increase in spiking and how he plans to tackle this. 

He said: “More funding and availability for testing equipment for this, I’ll continue to advocate for that empowerment and continue to advocate for tougher sentences for people that commit those crimes.”

Isaac mentioned his love for green spaces, specifically ‘The Botanical Gardens’, and that he will advocate for ‘protecting our green spaces and our students’. 

He also emphasised his aim for a ‘fresh start’, referencing Jared O’Mara, the MP for Sheffield Hallam between 2017 and 2019 who Isaac says “abused the vote of the constituents to fund his criminal lifestyle for which he is still in prison.

O’Mara was elected as a Labour MP at the 2017 June General Election but was suspended by the party in October 2017, before being reinstated in July 2018. 

O’Mara then resigned the Labour whip later in the same month. He was convicted in February 2023 of four counts of fraud by false representation, and sentenced to four years in prison later that year.

Social issues like global warming, climate change and the situation in Gaza are major concerns for young people in Sheffield. 

Issac addressed this, and said: “When I was in university, I sat on lots of committees with people with different beliefs to myself and all of whom felt as though they could talk to me. I’d continue that as an MP.”

He added: “On the topic of the conflict in Gaza, I’d love to champion a long term peace in the region and a sustainable two state solution.”

At the end of the interview, we asked Isaac to summarise his plans for the constituency. 

Isaac said: “I feel as though I understand many of the issues students face and can promise I will work my absolute hardest to understand the new issues that arise.

“I feel as though I can be a clean break with the past and a fresh voice in the city and I’d be honoured to do that as the MP for Sheffield Hallam.”

Sheffield Hallam Candidates:

General Election Candidates for the Sheffield Hallam constituency. From left to right (Top) ~ Olivia Blake (Labour), Sam Chapman (Rejoin EU) & Andrew Hudson Cowell (Social Democratic Party). Bottom ~ Isaac Howarth (Conservative), Jason Leman (Green), Shaffaq Mohammed (Liberal Democrat) & Mo Moui-Tabrizy (Worker’s Party).
From left to right (Top) ~ Olivia Blake (Labour), Sam Chapman (Rejoin EU) & Andrew Hudson Cowell (Social Democratic Party). Bottom ~ Isaac Howarth (Conservative), Jason Leman (Green), Shaffaq Mohammed (Liberal Democrat) & Mo Moui-Tabrizy (Worker’s Party). Image Credit: Who Can I Vote For? & The Conservative Party

Olivia Blake – Labour

Sam Chapman – Rejoin EU

Andrew Cowell – Social Democratic Party

Isaac Howarth – Conservative

Jason Leman – Green

Shaffaq Mohammed – Liberal Democrats

Mo Moui-Tabrizy – Workers Party of Britain

Bring your ID on Thursday 4th July and make your vote count.

🔴 General Election 2024 ~ The Results: Live

Welcome to Forge Press Arts & Theatre’s live coverage of the 2024 General Election Result, with Arts & Theatre Editor Sophie Layton (she/her). We...

Juno Dawson to speak at Juno Books

International bestselling author Juno Dawson will visit the LGBTQ+ bookshop Juno Books next month. The queer author, who has written bestsellers such as Clean...

Sheffield Hallam Candidate Spotlights: Jason Leman, Green Party

An interview with the Green Party's candidate for Sheffield Hallam.

Find out the main aims of Isaac Howarth, the Conservative Party candidate for Sheffield Hallam.

Sheffield Hallam Candidate Spotlights : Shaffaq Mohammed, Liberal Democrats

Shaffaq Muhammed, candidate for the Liberal Democrats in the Sheffield Hallam constituency, tells us his main aims for this election.