Sheffield Hallam Candidate Spotlights : Shaffaq Mohammed, Liberal Democrats

The general election is fast approaching, and Sheffield’s candidates have been busy campaigning for your vote.

With political apathy increasing, understanding who you’re voting for and what they advocate is hugely important.

Forge Press approached every candidate for the Sheffield Central and Sheffield Hallam constituencies and offered them a chance to speak through their manifestos.

The Liberal Democrat party candidate for the Sheffield Hallam constituency, Shaffaq Mohammed, accepted the request for an interview.

The Interview: Shaffaq Mohammed

He joined the Liberal Democrats during his time at the University of Sheffield.

He said: “I was an active member straight away, I kind of just stayed behind the scenes and then I stood in 2004 in Broomhill and was elected.”

In 2019, Shaffaq was elected into the European Parliament.

His main focus for the constituency covers public health and the environment.

Shaffaq said: “Too many people are finding it difficult to access GP services and dentistry, that’s across the border with young and old. Also, the environment,

Lots of water companies have been dumping sewage straight into our rivers, we’ve got to get tough with the water companies so we want a much stricter regime to deal with them.”

He added: “We want to build our relationship with Europe and boost economic growth and the climate. We want to see 90% of UKs energy generated by renewables by 2030.”

The Lib Dem manifesto states that they believe education is the best investment we can make in our country’s future.

Shaffaq addressed this and said: “What we would want to see is increases in both funding for schools and colleges. We also would like to reinstate maintenance grants for disadvantaged students particularly those that are dealing with cost of living”.

Students in Sheffield have raised concerns over issues like the cost of living and the conflict in Gaza.

Shaffaq told us that the Lib Dem party was the first to ‘advocate a cease fire, to release the hostages, to bring in the aid and return back to the two-state solution’.

During his time in the European parliament, he advocated for international development.

He said: “We want to turn back to spending 0.7% of our national income on international development and that has to be supporting countries abroad.”

He also advocated for women’s rights and told us that no country will ‘prosper’ if only 50% of its population is only allowed to fill their ‘full potential’.

Working with local communities is a step in the right direction to change, Shaffaq touched on this and said: “I see my role as being able to raise the issues that people care about that labour might not quite get right.”

He then emphasised his belief in having an ‘alternative voice’ in Sheffield.

Shaffaq said: “Get engaged with the political process, because if your voices aren’t heard, then those who shout the loudest will get the most attention.”

Previously in the interview, he mentioned how he was ‘disappointed’ in the government not taking on the youth mobility scheme that enables people aged 18-30 to live and work in the UK.

He summarised his views and said: “If you want someone who’s going to be a strong advocate for repairing our relationship with Europe and allow young people to be able to go and leave work and train in Europe for 3 to 4 years under the youth mobility scheme then vote for me.”

Sheffield Hallam Candidates:

General Election Candidates for the Sheffield Hallam constituency. From left to right (Top) ~ Olivia Blake (Labour), Sam Chapman (Rejoin EU) & Andrew Hudson Cowell (Social Democratic Party). Bottom ~ Isaac Howarth (Conservative), Jason Leman (Green), Shaffaq Mohammed (Liberal Democrat) & Mo Moui-Tabrizy (Worker’s Party).
From left to right (Top) ~ Olivia Blake (Labour), Sam Chapman (Rejoin EU) & Andrew Hudson Cowell (Social Democratic Party). Bottom ~ Isaac Howarth (Conservative), Jason Leman (Green), Shaffaq Mohammed (Liberal Democrat) & Mo Moui-Tabrizy (Worker’s Party). Image Credit: Who Can I Vote For? & The Conservative Party

Olivia Blake – Labour

Sam Chapman – Rejoin EU

Andrew Cowell – Social Democratic Party

Isaac Howarth – Conservative

Jason Leman – Green

Shaffaq Mohammed – Liberal Democrats

Mo Moui-Tabrizy – Workers Party of Britain

This election is the chance for you to make a change.

Bring your ID on Thursday 4th July and make your vote count. 

🔴 General Election 2024 ~ The Results: Live

Welcome to Forge Press Arts & Theatre’s live coverage of the 2024 General Election Result, with Arts & Theatre Editor Sophie Layton (she/her). We...

Juno Dawson to speak at Juno Books

International bestselling author Juno Dawson will visit the LGBTQ+ bookshop Juno Books next month. The queer author, who has written bestsellers such as Clean...

Sheffield Hallam Candidate Spotlights: Jason Leman, Green Party

An interview with the Green Party's candidate for Sheffield Hallam.

Sheffield Hallam Candidate Spotlights: Isaac Howarth, Conservative Party

Find out the main aims of Isaac Howarth, the Conservative Party candidate for Sheffield Hallam.

Shaffaq Muhammed, candidate for the Liberal Democrats in the Sheffield Hallam constituency, tells us his main aims for this election.