Sheffield Hallam Candidate Spotlights: Jason Leman, Green Party

The General Election is fast approaching, and Sheffield’s candidates have been busy campaigning for your vote.

With political apathy increasing, understanding who you’re voting for and what they advocate, is hugely important.

Forge Press approached every candidate for the Sheffield Central and Sheffield Hallam and offered them a chance to speak through their manifestos and their plans for the local area.

The Green Party candidate for the Sheffield Hallam constituency, Jason Leman, accepted the request for an interview.

The Interview: Jason Leman

Jason Leman’s interest in politics started when he was a student. He said:

“My interest in politics has been a long term thing for me starting back when I was a student at the University of Sheffield, I got involved with campaigns around anti-racism and the criminal justice bill.

“What I’ve been passionate about really, in campaigning since then is around conflict. When the invasion of Iraq happened in 2003 I was very involved in protests and campaigns around that and I think that really stimulated my political activity.”

He stated he had come into the Green Party almost 20 years ago now, and is devoted to making a change in Sheffield.

When asked what would be his main focus for this area if he was to become successful as a candidate, he said:

“The primary thing that I’m concerned about is that we’re facing a lot of challenges.

“Things like conflict, cost of living crisis and the climate crisis is this huge thing which is here and also looming in our future, and how we tackle that ultimately for me is around looking at how we’re living and looking at how we are responsible for each other.”

Jason added: “It’s also about investing in public services, infrastructure like the hospitals, schools, the justice system, the legal system.”

Young people in Sheffield have raised their concerns over issues around the climate crisis, and cost of living.

When Jason was asked what he would do to ease these concerns, he said:

“One thing I do really try is to raise the voices of people whose voices aren’t heard so much.

“I can listen to people and then advocate on their behalf.”

On Sheffield’s Green Party website, it states that Jason Leman knows that change only works ‘when we involve people’.

He plans to work closely with the young people in this community, he said:

“There’s ways in which we can support communities to become more connected. Part of it is also about encouraging more democracy.”

The Green Party manifesto mentions giving grants to those studying in higher level education. Jason explained how he values education and the importance of knowledge. He said:

“Learning for learning’s sake, not learning to jump through a hoop of an exam but really to encourage engagement and love all learning.”

One thing that people should take away from his campaign is this, Jason said:

“Promote the possibility that we can have a healthier nation for everyone, an economy that works for everyone, a future which is good for everyone and we can make that change together.”

Sheffield Hallam Candidates:

General Election Candidates for the Sheffield Hallam constituency. From left to right (Top) ~ Olivia Blake (Labour), Sam Chapman (Rejoin EU) & Andrew Hudson Cowell (Social Democratic Party). Bottom ~ Isaac Howarth (Conservative), Jason Leman (Green), Shaffaq Mohammed (Liberal Democrat) & Mo Moui-Tabrizy (Worker’s Party).
General Election Candidates for the Sheffield Hallam constituency. From left to right (Top) ~ Olivia Blake (Labour), Sam Chapman (Rejoin EU) & Andrew Hudson Cowell (Social Democratic Party). Bottom ~ Isaac Howarth (Conservative), Jason Leman (Green), Shaffaq Mohammed (Liberal Democrat) & Mo Moui-Tabrizy (Worker’s Party). Image Credit: Who Can I Vote For? & The Conservative Party

Olivia Blake – Labour

Sam Chapman – Rejoin EU

Andrew Cowell – Social Democratic Party

Isaac Howarth – Conservative

Jason Leman – Green

Shaffaq Mohammed – Liberal Democrats

Mo Moui-Tabrizy – Workers Party of Britain

This election is the chance for young people to make a real change to their futures.

If you don’t vote, you don’t have a say. Get to the polling stations on July 4th.

Interview conducted by Casey Peyton, News Editor

🔴 General Election 2024 ~ The Results: Live

Welcome to Forge Press Arts & Theatre’s live coverage of the 2024 General Election Result, with Arts & Theatre Editor Sophie Layton (she/her). We...

Juno Dawson to speak at Juno Books

International bestselling author Juno Dawson will visit the LGBTQ+ bookshop Juno Books next month. The queer author, who has written bestsellers such as Clean...

Book Review: The Bee Sting ~ Paul Murray

I was convinced to buy The Bee Sting by a cashier at Waterstones. It had just been published in paperback at the beginning of...

General Election 2024: Sheffield Candidate Spotlights

Over the last few weeks, the Forge Press news team have been hard at work interviewing candidates, and offering them a chance to put...

An interview with the Green Party's candidate for Sheffield Hallam.

Sheffield Hallam Candidate Spotlights: Isaac Howarth, Conservative Party

Find out the main aims of Isaac Howarth, the Conservative Party candidate for Sheffield Hallam.

Sheffield Hallam Candidate Spotlights : Shaffaq Mohammed, Liberal Democrats

Shaffaq Muhammed, candidate for the Liberal Democrats in the Sheffield Hallam constituency, tells us his main aims for this election.