Metal, a material that has ruled the globe since time immemorial, has been a crucial part of our lives, from science and industry to art and design. It is only apt to celebrate its existence in our beloved Steel City.

Show Your Metal, by curators Emma Paragreen and Katie Irwin, is a tribute to this enduring material. Coinciding with the 400th anniversary of The Company of Cutlers in Hallamshire, the exhibition features over 100 objects drawn from the city’s designated Metalwork Collection – showcasing outstanding examples ranging from loans of cultural and historical significance to contemporary artwork.

Curator Emma Paragreen. Image Credit: Sheffield Assay Office

The major exhibition at Sheffield’s Millenium Gallery is a unique exploration of the city’s metal heritage. It also delves into the complex and innovative ways manufacturers, artists and designers manipulate this highly sought-after material. Show Your Metal takes visitors through three large black-walled rooms, each offering various perspectives on metalwork. What sets this exhibition apart is the engaging elements that Paragreen and Irwin have incorporated, making the audience an active participant. Through interactive digital screens, I could select and watch “a day in the life” style videos about manufacturers local to Sheffield. Adults and children alike were also invited to observe and draw various raw metals on display, enhancing the interactive experience. 

Several metalworks caught my attention: ‘Bird’s Nest’, made with nails donated by George Pryor; ‘Uncontrollable Beauty; Dahlia Rose’ by Junko Mori; ‘No. 1161 Mesh’ by Rana Begum; and Bridget Smith’s tintype ‘Objects in Space’ series, to name a few. These pieces, with their intricate designs and masterful execution, left me in awe. I could not begin to describe the marvel of seeing these novel works up close – it was almost as if I was taking a peek into the artists’ minds, discerning metal in a more personal context.

Show Your Metal offers a captivating journey that goes beyond a typical metal showcase. Despite featuring an extensive number of objects, Paragreen and Irwin have expertly curated an immersive exploration of the versatility and significance of metal. Visitors can expect to leave with a profound appreciation for the precious material and its cultural and economic value. 

Rating: ★★★★★

Show Your Metal is on display in the Millennium Gallery until September 29th

‘No. 1161 Mesh’ by Rana Begum. Image Credit: Marsya Ali