Sheffield Eagles suspend head coach Mark Aston

The Sheffield Eagles have today confirmed that head coach Mark Aston and physio Mick Keys have been suspended on a “no fault basis”.

Mark Aston, father of Eagles halfback Cory, has been the club’s head coach for 17 years, and is perhaps best known for the 1998 Challenge Cup final.

That saw one of the biggest upsets in rugby league history, as the Eagles defeated Wigan Warriors to claim their first (and only) major trophy in the club’s existence. He was man of the match that day, winning the Lance Todd Trophy.

Despite playing for his hometown club Castleford Tigers through his childhood and teenage years, he joined Sheffield Eagles on a professional contract in 1986 and went on to make over 200 appearances for the club.

He has also coached over 400 games for the club.

Club statement

A statement from the Board of Directors today, 29th July 2024, said:

“The Sheffield Eagles Board of Directors were recently made aware of an investigation by the Rugby Football League concerning a medical compliance matter which has resulted in the club, Head Coach Mark Aston and Physio Mick Heys being called to face an Operational Rules Tribunal.

“Following discussions with the RFL and a meeting of the board, the club has moved to suspend Mark Aston and Mick Heys from their duties, on a no fault basis, until the Operational Rules Tribunal has taken place, effective immediately. All parties are working co-operatively with the RFL ahead of the Operational Rules Tribunal.

“Interim arrangements to cover the suspended staff will come from within the existing coaching team with both members of staff being offered welfare support during this time.

“No further comment will be made by the club on the matter until after the results of the Operational Rules Tribunal are known.”

The Operational Rules Tribunal is held by the RFL every Tuesday, so there will be no update on this story until at least Tuesday 30th July.

Sheffield Wednesday frustrated by late drama in QPR clash

QPR’s Alfie Lloyd denied Sheffield Wednesday a first win since the opening day of the season after late drama at Hillsborough today.

🔴 Sheffield Wednesday vs QPR: LIVE updates from the EFL Championship

Follow along with live updates from Hillsborough as Sheffield Wednesday host QPR in the EFL Championship.

Opinion: Should Books in a Series be judged Individually or as a Group?

Itching to read a book series but heard the first one isn't that good? Is it time we reviewed series' as a whole instead?

PREVIEW: Sheffield Wednesday v Queens Park Rangers

Sheffield Wednesday head coach Danny Rohl has encouraged his team to take a ‘big step forward’ as they host Queens Park Rangers on Saturday.

Gustavo Hamer shines as Sheffield United maul the Tigers

Sheffield United continued their good start to the EFL Championship season with a good victory away at Hull City on Friday night.

Sheffield Eagles team news ahead of Featherstone Rovers clash

Sheffield Eagles have named their 21-man squad ahead of an RFL Championship fixture against Featherstone Rovers.

Book Review: Rewriting the Rules ~ Meg-John Barker

Think your last relationship was bad? Think again!