The Sheffield University Performing Arts Society (SUPAS) are facing yet more challenges to their upcoming productions as the society re-opens applications for Musical Director on the small-scale Be More Chill. The society, which is also creating Amélie for semester one, re-opened applications for this position after their initial two appeals were unable to fill the role, with the application deadline extended until August 14th.

In a post on their social media account on July 31st, just four days after the initial deadline extension had passed, SUPAS said: “We are reopening for our final slot on Be More Chill’s prod team, Musical Director! Head to our bio to find links to the application form and pack”. The group also suggested that the role could be split between two people, in an attempt to encourage applicants to the position.

This latest development follows the society’s initial re-opening of applications several weeks ago, where they were seeking a Choreographer for Amélie and Musical Director and Production Manager for Be More Chill. It has been assumed that the Choreographer and Production Manager roles have been filled, as these have not been reopened, although this is unconfirmed. If this is the case, it would mean that their semester one large-scale production is to go ahead with a full production team, alleviating concerns raised several weeks ago.

However, this cannot be said for Be More Chill, as we enter the third round of applications for the Musical Director position. The role involves leading rehearsals, conducting the show during its run in December and requires an understanding of the music and leading ensemble experience. The society have also stressed that knowing everything is not a requirement, as the committee would be available to support. Given the crucial nature of this production team role, it is unclear what the future of Be More Chill would be if this remains vacant for a third time. In the previous callout, the society suggested that “without these roles, the show cannot go on”, so we may face an eventually where SUPAS may be forced to cancel Be More Chill before it’s even begun.

As we enter the final week of the application period for Be More Chill’s Musical Director, SUPAS faces a tense wait to see whether their final semester one production team position will be filled before the deadline passes. Whilst we have no confirmation as to whether any applications have currently been received or what the eventuality would be if this remains vacant, it’s looking increasingly likely that SUPAS may soon be faced with a difficult decision, where even the show’s viability is in question.

Applications for Musical Director of SUPAS’ Be More Chill are open until August 14th. Application packs can be found here

Image Credit: SUPAS