The Sheffield Latin & Ballroom Society (LABS) have called for societies from both The University of Sheffield and Sheffield Hallam University to send representatives to compete in the group’s annual Strictly Come Dancing charity event. Following on from last year’s hugely successful event, LABS have brought the competition back for 2024, seeking society nominees to be paired with LABS’ professionals for a night of dancing for donations.

In a post on the group’s social media yesterday afternoon, the dance society is “looking for other society members to represent their societies as the ‘celebrities’. They will be paired with one of our members to learn a new dance style (e.g. Waltz, Quickstep, Cha Cha, Samba, Jive, Salsa)”. Each pair will have approximately two weeks to learn their dance of choice before the charity performance on October 15th. The society have also revealed that the guest ‘celebrity’ of each pair will take a £50 prize back to their group as an incentive to nominate a representative.

The Sheffield LABS’ Strictly Come Dancing sees pairs take to the dance floor to be judged by a guest panel, with the winner determined by the highest amount donated to that specific pair. Whilst this year’s charities have not yet been confirmed, previous recipients have included Sheffield Mind, with over £2100 raised at last year’s event for the mental health and wellbeing charity. Participating societies in previous years included the University of Sheffield’s Quiz Society and Medics’ Running, and Sheffield Hallam’s Hockey and Sailing groups.

As we get closer to the return of LABS’ Strictly Come Dancing charity event, societies across the city have been urged to take part in this year’s competition, representing their group for a chance to win a cash prize whilst raising money for good causes. It is unclear when those taking part will be announced, or when the target charities will be confirmed, but with the event drawing ever nearer, it is unlikely we will have to wait long for our next cadre of ‘celebrity’ guests set to take to the floor in less than two months time.

Sheffield LABS’ Strictly Come Dancing will take place on October 15th in Foundry. Prospective societies can sign-up to take part here

Image Credit: Sheffield Latin & Ballroom Society