“Is a Jaffa Cake, a cake or a biscuit?”. That fundamental, age-old question that naturally spawns an Edinburgh Fringe musical is a unique blend of courtroom drama and musicality that attempts to solve the conundrum once and for all. And whilst the jury may be out on the eventual conclusion, firm judgement can be passed on one thing; A Jaffa Cake Musical is a showstopper of entertainment that will leave you longing for a  cast album, a West End run and perhaps a little cake (it is a cake, that’s not for debate in my books!).

The five-strong cast are exceptional in their (many) roles, with impressive on-stage quick changes that are witnessed but unseen, complementing the creative choreography and impressively crafted set. Most notable among them all is Judge and pianist Alex Prescot, who’s characterisation is nothing short of hilarious, presiding from the piano as the lawyers battle it out in front of him. Alongside Tax Man Katie Pritchards, these two larger-than-life characters act as fantastic support during the lengthy legal battle, Darth Vader impersonations and all!

The cast of ‘A Jaffa Cake Musical’ (from left to right). Top ~ Alex Prescot as Judge, Katie Pritchards as Tax Man & Sabrina Messer as Katherine. Bottom ~ Writer Sam Cochrane as Kevin & Harry Miller as Jake. Image Credit: The Giggle Mug

The main cast, namely writer Sam Cochrane, Harry Miller and Sabrina Messer as Kevin, Jake and Katherine, respectively, each give good performances in the extended courtroom scenes, making the legal process not only entertaining but hilarious as they recount the (quite solid) arguments used in the actual case (yes, this was an actual case in 1991). Messer, in particular, was fantastically witty with incredible comedic timing and sold her role even better than Katherine sold her case (even though it was the wrong side!).

As well as a catchy soundtrack and truly brilliant original songs, the use of set was incredibly imaginative, forming a court room for the majority of the musical before magically transforming into a giant Jaffa Cake in one of the most satisfying use of set I have ever witnessed anywhere in theatre. It was remarkably simple but the ingenuity and imagination that has brought it together is worthy of a (pastry) chef’s kiss!

A Jaffa Cake Musical, simply put, “is fork-ing great”. A highlight of the Fringe, the production delivers in every regard, with catchy songs, impressive choreography, an engaging storyline and the Great British spirit of disagreeing agreeably on something that is arguably not worth the furore it needlessly generates. Exciting and inspirational, A Jaffa Cake Musical proudly proclaims “if a cake can be a biscuit, then you can be anything”; If a Jaffa Cake can be a disproportionately high-quality musical worthy of a West End residency, then it can be anything!

Rating: ★★★★★

A Jaffa Cake Musical is playing at Pleasance Courtyard until August 26th

Image Credit: The Giggle Mug