Walking into theSpace @ Venue45, you’d be forgiven for thinking that you’d entered a fairy tale, with music echoing off the walls and leaves adorning the ground. But magic and wonder quickly shifts to horror and nerves in Birdwatching, as the dangers of camping in cursed woodlands becomes all too apparent. Too late for our cadre of characters, we watch as their trip turns into a nightmare, with visceral horror playing out in front of us, to the point of genuinely unsettling those who find themselves witnesses to the unfortunate destinies of the ill-fated friends.

The clashing of the three very unique personalities on stage creates a painfully uncomfortable atmosphere from the very beginning, and the differentiating acting styles of our three actresses work in harmony to make disharmony core to our character’s developments. Mimi Millmore’s Amelia is a hilarious incarnation of a lovable rogue is hilarious to watch, which makes her progression throughout the tale evermore heartbreaking as consequences begin to take hold, and her return to the camp through a side door with slow, clunky movements was shocking to say the least. What a performer!

The cast of ‘Birdwatching’. From left to right ~ Mimi Millmore as Amelia, Madeleine Farnhill as Poppy & Ellen Trevaskiss. Image Credit: Black Bright Theatre

Madeleine Farnhill as Poppy is able to walk on stage and make anyone instantly dislike her, from her mannerisms, to her interactions with the other cast members. We learn more about her character as the play develops to understand why she is so tightly wound and this gives such depth that shines through thanks to Farnhill’s performance. Similarly, the anxiety and awkwardness-stricken Lauren, portrayed by Ellen Trevaskiss, is a joy to watch and someone you just want to hug. Watching her often being so deeply affected by Amelia and Poppy’s bickering is heartbreaking and the eventual fate befalling her character is hard to watch. A fantastic cast telling a fantastic story!

Our character’s woes are aided (not that this was required given the breaking voices and visible trembling), by an artful use of light and sound. From the moon shining down onto their tent to the changing levels of darkness, although admittedly these are too intensely blue, progression of time is seen rather than just being told, a huge positive when scenes in darkness so often just resort to assumption. Similarly, the echoing of sounds throughout the auditorium gives goosebumps and the whistling through the trees is genuinely terrifying, and I could feel my own anxieties from this point until long after I had left the theatre.

Horror is a difficult medium to master, and Birdwatching clearly know what they’re doing. Blending an intense story with visceral acting and well-defined technical aims, this show is a more frightening experience than can be imagined, it simply must be seen to believed. Sheffield-founded Black Bright Theatre have a terrific future ahead of them, and this production has quickly and unexpectedly found itself among my favourite pieces I have seen at Edinburgh Fringe 2024.

Rating: ★★★★☆

Birdwatching is playing at theSpace @ Venue 45 until August 24th

Image Credit: Black Bright Theatre