Gliding through the auditorium, adorned head-to-toe in a brilliant white costume with angel wings almost taller than she is, Dylan Mulvaney’s one-woman show FAGHAG is a joy to watch from start to finish, documenting the live she has led and the challenges that have shaped Mulvaney into the woman she is today. Filled with jokes, hilarious anecdotes and a healthy dose of introspection, this show is wonderous and exciting for all who come to watch.

Greeting the audience in the auditorium itself as the crowd files in having queued (quite literally!) around the building, Mulvaney wastes no time in establishing the comical take she has on her birth and being sent by God, the time she spent as a twink and the eventual journey leading to the influencer and icon we know today. Taking on multiple roles and audience participation aplenty, the show plays fast and loose with the rules of traditional theatre, as Mulvaney jumps off stage in high heels (a remarkable feat in itself!) and dashes to give an audience member a microphone or performs a speedy costume change on stage for everyone to see. Mulvaney is a comfortable and comforting presence in performance which shines through with sass and slay in this show.

Influencer & actress Dylan Mulvaney. Image Credit: Them

She also is unafraid to tackle the challenges and bigotry she has faced in coming out, reenacting experiences, including THAT man with the machine gun and beer, and showing audiences vulnerability, the importance of a supportive friendship network and learning to love yourself when the world can be a challenging place. She takes us through the toughest moments but guides us out the other side in true camp fashion in a hopeful approach to some of the darkest periods in life, and reminding us that it can all be okay.

Despite the focus being on Mulvaney almost exclusively, the lighting, costume and set design are stunningly captivating, fresh out of Barbie and fitting exquisitely with the story being told. I’ve never seen a bath bomb used on stage before, and it’s a fun inclusion. It is such a striking design in every moment and a gift that keeps on giving as more and more random items get pulled from areas you didn’t know existed!

As a Trans+ person, I felt seen by this show and know that many others will feel the exact same way leaving the auditorium after 60 minutes of camp, queer joy that Dylan Mulvaney – FAGHAG imparts onto every person fortunate enough to see it. I have little idea whether this production will go any further or whether Mulvaney intends to keep writing shows such as this one, but should she choose to return to the Fringe, the Fringe will welcome their work with open arms and open hearts.

Rating: ★★★★★

Dylan Mulvaney: FAGHAG is playing at Assembly George Square Studios until August 25th

Image Credit: Time Out